1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by brshhog, Jan 30, 2007.

1. brshhog

brshhog Junior Member

Last year I plowed 3.5 miles of roads with my RC-100 track loader for a customer that I had done dirt work for in the summer. We were on good terms and there was no contract. I just billed him for my time and all was good. Now this year they have added roads and there is now close to 7 miles. Same senerio, I billed him for my time on the loader and a friend in his Blazer with a 8 ft. plow. Came to about 700.00. The customer was fine with that price, it just took too long. Now I have installed a 10' V on my GMC C-5500 and it only took me about 3 hours to do the job last time with this set-up. Keep charging him 700.00 ??
    Then today I picked up another 3.5 miles of roads. 350.00 seems to cheap,( going off the 100.00 per mile at my other acount) and it is 25 min. from the house with no other accts. in the area. Ideas???
    Thanks for any advice you can give,
    DOUG

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My idea is that plowing snow from any given area is worth the same, whether you use a 7.5' plow, 10'plow, snowblower or shovel. Why would you buy more efficient equipment, just so the customer can pay less because it doesn't take you as long?

Now, on that second 3.5 miles of road, I'd charge so much for plowing and add so much for the distance. But, I'd give it to the customer as one price.