1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by milesscott, Oct 16, 2012.

1. milesscott

milesscott Junior Member
    from 55112

Hi there. I am new to bidding snowplowing jobs. I own and operate a carpet cleaning company and have lots of apartment complexes I work for. Just recently I bought a 1 ton truck and 8.5 foot v plow and plan on expanding my business to include snow plowing. I have the opportunity to place bids for current customers. Most lots are .25 acres to 1 acre being he largest. I wont be shoveling walks just opening the lots before the morning or afternoon commute and then doing a full plow the next day when all the cars have been removed. I've been told that a person can plow 1 acre an hour when the lot is wide open with not much back dragging.

How much more should I charge per push for the am/pm breakthrough?

Is there a formula a person can use to charge per acre that includes the initial breakthrough and the full plowing and any clean up after?

What is a reasonable hourly rate for the Twin Cities of Minnesota?

I'm having a hard time accuratley estimating total time. Most properties have ample space for piling of snow and there is not much back dragging needed. The properties I am bidding on are within a 3 miles radius of each other. It will take me about 15 minutes to drive to this part of town.
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Use an ice melter that will track onto the carpet and require more cleaning......
  3. milesscott

milesscott Junior Member
    from 55112

Nice one! haha!
  4. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

2X :laughing:
  5. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I would charge a percentage of what you charge to do the whole lot to open the lanes. Maybe 50%? Eventhough it won't take you that long, you still have the expense of driving to and from that lot.