1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by sectlandscaping, Sep 13, 2011.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

Hey guys I have this property to bid on. I already have a figure but not a 100% on it.

The parking lot is 40-45,000 sq ft. I think 2-4" will take around a hour and 800 lbs of salt/sand. Also about 30-45 mins to do sidewalks. This building may be closed during snowstorms so I have the benefit of only a few cars.

Im using a f450 with a 9 ft plow and bed sander.

The main issue with my bid is we get 40'' annually with 10-15 snowfalls. This past year we were hammered with 98'' and over 20 storms. Im on the coast so I get a lot of wet slushy stuff. Its a seasonal bid and not sure If I should bid on what we might get or what we usually get. Should I just bid at 60" so Im not to high if the snow is normal and not losing my shirt if its like last year?

Untitled.jpg

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Seasonal is a gamble for you as well as the customer. Base your figure off the past 5 year averages ( I personally take the highest and lowest and throw them out) and base it off that figure ... if its 40" then base your rate off of 40".... try and push the 3 year deal as it will minimize your risk....

3. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Add a clause with total inches,40, and/or 15 storms.
    Anything over and above that is chargeable at some agreed upon rate.
    Surcharge can be hourly, by event serviced, per inch or anything else you
    come up with that makes sense to you.
    For what it's worth I'm 100% seasonal pricing.
    Good years and bad ones, but after forever it all evens out.

4. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I mentioned the clause on the phone, One property manager said the clause would be fine the one above didnt.

I been by push for a few years but this year everyone wants seasonal or hourly.

Going to try the multi year contract with this one and see what happens. They might like the idea of the same price for a few years with inflation and all. That seems like a good way to balance it out and have future business all in one. I been doing landscaping for them for a while so they know I'm not a fly by night.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I always see an increase of seasonal bids the year after a heavy winter. I tell the customer that I will only bid seasonal on new properties if they sign a five year contract. 3 years is good, but why not push it out and have the work for 5. I put a 10% increase in after every 2 years.