1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding help needed. Here's the lot(link).

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DesMoines2500, Jul 12, 2013.

1. DesMoines2500

DesMoines2500 Senior Member

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

First and foremost you need to find out what it will cost you per hour to run your trucks. It looks like a fairly quick lot to plow if you just circle the building a few times and then go back and tuck your corners and clean up. General rule of thumb I go by is an acre per hour with a pickup truck. I measured this lot using findlotsize.com and it came out to be about .8 acre. You should easily be able to do this lot with one truck in less than hour. Figure how long you feel it will take you, times what you want to make per hour, figure in a little extra and ther you go.

3. DesMoines2500

Our trucks cost us $20 an hour avg last year with insurance, fuel, repairs(est). I think I'll have that down below $15/hr this year after some repairs and maintenance.

I was thinking bidding $120 per push, and $80 plus materials for shoveling and sand/salting.

$200 per push with everything.

4. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

When you are plowing Fuel will cost you between $13-17 per hour.

5. born2farm

I see no way your trucks only cost you $20 an hour. On the low end you will burn 4 gal an hour plowing. 4 gal x $3.50/gal ( if your lucky) = $14/hr just in fuel. I know you have more than $6 an hour in insurance and repairs.

6. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Don't forgot replacement cost. Those trucks won't last forever, you need to be making enough money to be able to replace them.

Thats where the lowball guys screw up. They get enough to pay for fuel and put a few bucks in their pocket, then they blow a trans and they're out of business.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, 20$ an hour.....real cost is close to triple that.

8. born2farm

Glad I am not the only company with trucks that cost me $50+ an hour.

9. DesMoines2500

Sooo, that's all great info an all, but my trucks are all fully depreciated and don't cost much an hour to run.

$120 per push, and $80 plus materials for shoveling and sand/salting?

$200 per push with everything?

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I'd do it for $125.

That way you will be the absolute biggest lowballer out there.

11. born2farm

Fully depreciated has nothing to do with it. Fuel, maintenance, insurance and replacement costs have nothing to do with your trucks being fully depreciated. It WILL cost you more then $20 an hour to run your truck. You should figure up what your real hourly cost is before bidding on anything. I may be coming off as an a** hole, but this is why the pricing in so many snow markets is so low. Most guys don't take the time to figure out how much it actually cost.

12. OldSchoolPSD

are your trucks remote control? I'm pretty sure it costs money to put and ass in the seat as well.

13. OldSchoolPSD

Fwiw I get $98/hr for my pickups and $113/hr for my duallys. All told I profit less hourly than my regular shop rate. My trucks and equipment are all paid for, depreciated, whatever. For any less I'll just sit on my nice warm couch and have a little chuckle at the guys that think they're getting rich at $50/hr.

14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

200.00 for the hour is good, but you're thinking of 180.00 as profit is incorrect.

Let's try some raw numbers

Driver 15.00 per hour
    Gas/fuel 15.000 per hour
    Wear/tear/plow replacement 10.00
    Cost towards newer eqm 5.00
    INS. 10.00

Just a raw guess and yes these numbers are off the top of my head plus I didn't include other line items.