1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Government Contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GLOBIL, Sep 18, 2003.

1. GLOBIL

GLOBIL Junior Member

I'm new to this forum and I need need some expert help quickly. I have been offered a chance to bid on a Government contract to plow the parking lots at our local army reserve center here in Manitowoc, WI. There are 5100 sq.ft of lots to clear and I have a 1999 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 7.5' Hinniker plow. My problem is the government wants a per month price and since I've only plowed about 1.5 seasons I really don't have a lot of history base my bid on. The bid is due 9-22-03. Can anyone can advise me how to approach this bid. Please don't say search the site, as you can tell by the due date I don't have a lot of time. Thanks to all who respond.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well,5100 sq\ft isn't very big.I don't know if there are a lot of obstructions or islands,but it would take more than 10-20 mins to do.I usually have a minimum number of hours,or price before accepting the job.

What is the trigger point ? No snow at all,1",2" ? Either way,I'd go with a one hour minimum.How much does it snow ? are they large or small snow falls ? how many per month? You need to do some research on the snowfall amounts,to determine the frequency of plowing needed.You will also need to know what most of the guys in your area are charging per truck hour.

Once you have all the data,it's just simple math.Time required to clear the lot X hourly rate X average number of plowable events a month.