1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding for snow removal PITA

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Clarkmac1985, Oct 18, 2016 at 9:05 AM.

1. Clarkmac1985

Clarkmac1985 Junior Member

I've been around biding for jobs my whole life and have done quite a few bids for lawn care but this bidding for snow removal is a complete pain in my a$$. The weather up here in NY on the lake shore is unpredictable at best. Average 22 days of measurable snow a year totaling 100"+ a year. I get doing a contract price for the year but most customers I've been approache'd by are wanting a monthly contract price. I've been biding them on an average of 5 events per month so it comes out to 5 months and 25 events. But still, in my mind it's a lot easier to do a per push price and bill monthly. Noone wants that. Good god this is a pita.
    On another note how many average residential's can one plow with 2 guys handle?
  2. areoseek

areoseek Member
    from Erie PA

as a general rule, if you're contracting snow removal you want at least two trucks. This is a business of redundancies. Learned that lesson the hard way last year when I lost a tranny in the middle of a blizzard, had to find and pay subs at 3am. Don't let that happen to you.

but to answer your question, I can probably hit 40 small houses in a 8 hour night by myself, half that if they're rural. really depends on how much snow you have and how good you are at plowing. don't get in over your head if you're not confident.
    cjames808 likes this.
  3. cjames808

cjames808 Junior Member

Few years ago my dad had 30 driveways and a jeep. Average $30 and took 6-8 hours total. $900 and always stressin.

Same year I did 8 small commercial gigs 15-45 mins each, some seasonal some per. $1500+ and then I usually did per push CASH at the end for the guys who broke down or didn't show. Paid my fuel and laborer.

We now do ONLY do small/med commercial. And the jeep is our back up plow. We
    Like areo said, have a back up. If people and their businesses are counting on you, be prepared.

As far as contracts, cost per push X 25/5months=payment. Tip: get 1st payment in Oct/Nov before it snows last before it is done snowing by March. We take 25% 1st payment then 15% per month for 5 payments.
    ktfbgb likes this.