1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding for city plowing

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by mirrorlandscape, Jan 23, 2012.

1. mirrorlandscape

mirrorlandscape Junior Member

I've done some searching on municipal contracts and still have some questions. I apologize if this is redundant.

We are considering making a presentation at the city town council meeting about bidding out plowing city streets to private contractors. Right now the town handles all maintenance but does a terrible job and wastes alot of the city's money. We've done our homework on what it would cost for our company to handle all the streets on a given snow fall and believe we could make a convincing pitch to show the city they would save money.

But in order for it to work we have to have every detail covered perfectly. I've never bid on a muncipal plowing job only commercial, does anyone have advice and/or items to consider. Insurance, job specs, examples of towns that already do this, etc. ?

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Taking union workers jobs? good luck on that one.Even if you came in a quarter of the cost ,won't happen.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

yeah, good luck bud.

I have tried to argue with citys that it is more cost effective to have us lay water main than for them to do it. All it ever does is get heated and we end up walking away with nothing accomplished

4. mirrorlandscape

bummer. :( That's kinda what I've been wondering. I've heard our city clerk and the head of the street dept. are good friends, on top of that the town council suck up to the clerk. Only the mayor is open minded it seems...maybe I should run for town council instead lol. We were kinda hoping to have a presentation together, show it to the mayor and get him on board first. The tough part is getting the budget for the street dept. from city hall without tipping off the clerk who will in turn run to street dept. Stupid politics.

Thanks guys!

5. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

the way they do it in my neck of the woods is give a bribe or get the county commisioner a hokker ALLEDGELY....no wait he is on trial for that.......nevermind

6. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

Hell our county just got rid of all our contractors this year now I am stuck with the 3rd largest route in the county over the weekend it took me 6 hours just to do one lap spreading salt

7. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

The bad part is if you do the presentation your putting all your pricing and how it would be done, then if they think its a good idea and want to try it out they have to put it out for bid then anyone that is at the meeting will know everything you are planning to do and for how much.

8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If you know your costs,have a good game plan, then why should it concern you what their budget is? I understand the concept of having that information and it is public, but shouldn't be a huge factor in how you bid. (or try to bid)
    Our Village spends Approximately $24K every clearing, the info helps, but isn't a big factor when we try to solicit the work for the private world.
    And good luck, municipalities are not easy to break from the unions.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

More then likely it's not your price it's the fact the board would have to put out a RFP with the specs. Then you bid it along with everyone else. Even if you were to bid 1.00 you could not get it without the bid going out .

10. mirrorlandscape

Good points! Didn't even think about the RFP process. And yeah I certainly wouldn't want to share my numbers with the world just to be underbid. Woul only want city's numbers to show the board how much they could potentially save. Again, thanks for insight.

11. natedawg77

natedawg77 Junior Member

IN MY OPINION since I work for a municipality snow plowing is why we are here all the work I do during the rest of the year is just filling time til the snow comes. Now I also work for a town of 150,000 plus so I don't see to many private contractors being able to handle what we do in a storm a small town maybe different. We bring in private contractors to work along side of us to help clear roads and we also bring in cul de sac guys in larger storms.

12. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

pretty much sums it up in this area as well

13. GimmeSnow!!

GimmeSnow!! Senior Member

It's funny I moved north from my shop and started talking to municipalities even further out in the boonies. I tried to get information about plowing and mowing. The county treasurer said that he doesn't have a contract with the company, its all verbal and he doesn't see a reason to switch because they do a good job. The company is something like JimBob's plowing. Went to the local cities, same thing, they all just bring their friends in to do the work. I thought that was just a Detroit thing. I couldn't believe how many doors closed in my face that day. Gotta love politics!

14. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Its not just where you are, politicians get involved and all logic is lost....