1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding for a National

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HitchC&L, Jan 12, 2013.

1. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

I was recommended to a parking lot by another contractor that had heard that they were having troubles with their snow plower and wanted to get someone else in there.

I talked to the company, and they told me they use a national manager that subs all of the plowing. The usual.

I contacted the national company, and they were real quick to send me their "numbers" and said that they had had complaints with the other company. For the prices they gave me, I can see why they had troubles.

My question is, my salt pricing is 2+ times what they allotted, and plowing is 1.5+ times their numbers. I'm going to send them back a sreadsheet with realistic numbers and tell them to take it or leave it.

My question is, is this the common practice with the nationals? Or are their numbers what they are and they will find someone to do it, whether he does a good job or not.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thumbs Up........this.

3. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, thats how they do it. They contact us all the time, i turn in my numbers and never here back. They always find some one to do it. It's usually a guy just starting out

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just careful they don't accept your numbers(doubtful) to get someone in there for the rest of the season then dick you around for the money.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Get the contract wording first before submitting a #.
    It is never just about plowing and salting. They want your records, documentation, hoops to jump through before payment. When you add up the time to submit this it sometimes outweighs the site maintenance. The basic questions how much to plow, how much to salt? Should always be answered with "What do you require to issue payment. They usually send out a letter of intent then send a contract with "requirements" later hoping you'll just jump the hoops for the same price, or not so they can delay payment or not meets their requirements so you don't get paid at all.

It is all a negotiation, know what you are quoting, submit the requirements on time, if you haven't received a payment a week before it is due send a reminder by email that Invoice # is due 01/30/13 late payment is subject to 3% and possible interuption of service.

6. joe2025

joe2025 Member
    from NEPa

Why not tell the property manager that this is what usually happens when you deal with a national company. I would let them know that I was available to discuss their property maintenance requirements if they would like to do business with you in the future. Everyone is always complaining about how the nationals (a lot of them anyway) are driving down pricing in the industry. To me this sounds like a perfect opportunity to start a business relationship with the local manager and get your foot in the door. I understand that some companies have a signed agreement with nationals but the contract has to end at some point and if you are in a good position with the property manager you might have a chance at landing the account in the future. Just my .02¢

7. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

No they would never withhold payment for not dotting an i.

8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

What? any excuse not to pay... Brickmen known for that.. Everest Snow National is the only one who pays right away.. But it still go's cheap

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I live in a small town, I know most of the managers of the properties. But chain banks,post office, hydro,telephone, etc all sign with national providers through HQ. Some of the properties I do I've done for different nationals....I'm the only constant.:D

10. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

run away from them . they look for ways not to pay you 45 days later .