1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding first LARGE lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AMW Landscaping, Dec 23, 2015.

1. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping Junior Member

Hey guys I have been asked by a company to bid one of their larger parking lots for snow removal this year. Seems kinda late to just now be getting bids but this building was just recently purchased. Anyways, they say 2" trigger and want a per push rate not seasonal. Needs to be salted afterwords and walkways/sidewalks must be cleared.

Now I have a pretty good idea of bidding smaller commercial and residential but have no clue how to even start to put together numbers on something of this size. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachment is not showing up for some reason. Click on the pdf to see the property.

Attached Files:

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

If it were me bidding it, I would break it up into what I found 6 different lots. That's how I would because I have never bid something that large. I can figure each section and add them all. But as for equipment I have no clue. If I had to guess id say 2 loaders and a truck with a 9.2v. I feel that'd be minimal though

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

You have the yellow line going right down the middle of the lot on the right side. Is that correct you ony do a couple rows on that side.

4. AMW Landscaping

Yes this photo was sent from the customer

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hour and a half? Two at the most.

How much does it empty oot?

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

What do you have for equipment?

All I can offer for advice is.....bid to make a real profit above and beyond all overhead, including your paycheck. Make a list of overhead, and think hard! Insurance, fuel, gloves, maintenance, replacement parts, light bills, office time, postage stamps, overhead is a small word with huge meaning.

Do NOT " bid to win ", ever.

7. AMW Landscaping

Looking into it further looks like it is a bit to big for me at this point haha. Maybe get a shot at it next year. Thanks for input guys!

8. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Glad to see you know your limits. Had to tell someone who really liked us that I just didn't see us being able to handle the size of his property without a loader. Hoping when whoever he went with contract is done I'll be able to handle it and haven't burned the lead cause he seemed disappointed.

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

it would have burned worse if you took the job and failed

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Mark, what are you using to plow this in 1.5-2hrs? Is that equipment changing from full lot to empty or mostly empty lot? Also, how many inches of accumulation is that time good for?
    Thanks.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I was looking at it on my phone, so maybe a little low, but still, it doesn't look like that big of a lot, especially without cars.

1-4"

Blizzard 8611LP and a 16' Ebling.

12. WIPensFan

Ok. Yeah the picture is taken from pretty high up, so I think it is bigger than it appears. I also noticed it's a rent a car business so I doubt it's ever close to empty so that would reduce the plowable area quite a bit. I'm not saying you're wrong on time, I was just curious as to the equipment being used. I would think keeping spill off from the cars in the rows would be a high priority, and carrying a long distance looks like the norm.

13. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

ya if you can bang it off in 2 hours with a truck your doing something right lol thats a pretty decent size lot. with a rent a car , they will want you to go back after storm and clear where cars are parked.

14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I say around 2 hours once you learn the lot.

That's easy with an Ebling. Turns drive lanes into a one pass deal on most properties. This one might take two on some because of the length of some of the lanes.

15. WIPensFan

Yes, I know that.

16. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

Bid high. They are out for bid this late for one of two reasons. Cost or they got dumped.
    Can't be much more than 150,000sf.

17. Surfdunn

Surfdunn Member

Just did a quick measurement and came up with 352,228 sqft not including sidewalks.I would have still measured it up for them to have on record. Looks like everything is stored inside and parking lot is for workers so most likely won't see any employees until 7am. You would know better then me Im just going off google maps. I personally would have bid it and then through in a landscape bid for the 2016 season also. Would have focused more on the landscape bid since its so late in the season for snow and try to get that rather then the snow. Most likely they would do a 1 year trial period for any new company for snow or landscape then base a 2-3 or 5 year contract off the results. I never try to walk away from work unless its completely out of my element.

18. AMW Landscaping

I told them that the snow was out of my wheel house but they asked me about the landscape bid and im going to try for that. Hopefully my connection with the guy that owns it will give me some leverage over the cheaper guys.

19. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

2 loaders and maybe a bobcat, if that building is all doors you will need someone on the ground to help

20. breckshred

breckshred Junior Member

A good rule of thumb is if you're out of your element to bid the lot, you will be out of your element plowing it.