1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding commerical

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by StableP, Sep 10, 2004.

1. StableP

StableP Junior Member

Hello Everyone, I live In Wisconsin new to the plowing game
    i will be working by my self this winter 1 truck 1 plow 1 blower 2 shovels and a salt speader.

I have a question and need some advice for A season vets a pro i have about 10 seasonal contracts and like 20 somthing per push contracts
    I was out finding lots the other day and was looking to bid some lots for $2500 about how much time would it take to plow a lot of that size and do you think i could hadle 10 lots at a time With 1 truck

thank you for feedback and good luck this season
    Let this winter be very Prosperous for all

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

You are new, Learn to walk before you try to run.
    in other words start out an work up as you go along. To many accounts will make you want to try to please everybody and if you can't keep up then everybody gets pissed and that doesn't look good. If you find you have extra time at the end of the day then work on your equipment for an hour or 2. That way you can relax and if something brakes (and it Will) you have time to fix it without loosing any customers because they didn't get done. No one here can really tell you how long it will take you to plow a lot because every one plows a little different, some fast and some a little slower.
    If you find you arn't making enough money at the end of the year but your time is close to full then raise your price a bit. I have never told a customer I didn't want to plow for them any more I would just raise my price till they started looking elsewhere. you would be surprised how high you can go before they start looking, and if you do it at the end of the season they can't always find someone else.
    Good luck with your new business and in a year or so let us all know how you are doing.

Dwan

3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

StableP, you sound like me. This is my first year at trying a lot of accounts. I subbed a lot for guys, last year went on my own and made over 20k. This year I have a franchise with 9 locations, a 4 acre mall parking lot. three nursing homes. I am going to try with one truck, and one sub. I am wondering if I will need another truck.I looked at used but with the interest rates I can buy a new 350 with plow for $400/month. I added up my business and on a 4-6 incher I will gross 6375.00. To me i can make the truck payments on one storm, but still dont know what to do.Do you have a backup truck for yourself??