1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Commerical Property

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheXpress2002, Oct 11, 2007.

1. TheXpress2002

TheXpress2002 2000 Club Member
    from Canton

The industrial park is a 2 lane road, large shoulders, around 1.5 miles long, and will require approx 3 passes (4.5 drive miles) with a 12 foot plow due to the open spaces with blowing snow.

I have had a few replies on other threads any other input on pricing for plowing and how much salt this will take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say $130 per mile (so $195) and average 1/2 yard of salt per mile (so 3/4 yd).

At the same time, I'd say you're foolish for taking those figures since they're based on my area and my equipment.

3. Snoroller

Snoroller Junior Member

I totally agree with Mick. You need to bid it on how things go in your area. If you are comfortable with your customer contact, ask him how much they usually pay. Get all the info from the past that you can and play with it. The safe way is calculating your time and multiply that times your hourly rate. That may hurt you if they usually pay more than that but at least you won't hurt yourself. That's the biggie. Don't bid so low that it's not worth it or you lose money and at the same time don't shoot for the moon either. Make it worth your while for what you need and what you can get in your area.

4. TheXpress2002

TheXpress2002 2000 Club Member
    from Canton

Thanks guys......One question though......would you charge by driven mile or the actual mile itself.

5. Mick

from Maine

I'd say give your quote/charge by actual mile for residential and lane mile for industrial/municipal.

6. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Whats the difference in the two?

7. Mick

from Maine

Actual Mile - distance between two points. This applies to residential since there may often be only a single lane or lane-and-a-half. Road width may vary quite a bit from beginning to end and have cul-de-sacs, turn-outs, etc.

Lane Mile - Distance varies, depending on how many "lanes" there are - two lane road vs 4, 6, 8 lane highway. But width, etc will generally be uniform and standard in a municipal or industrial setting.

8. winter angel

winter angel Junior Member

Mick

So with that said would you apply that to a (health) retirment village as well? drove it with my truck, it is one driven mile with 10 side parking lots that are two car widths, with employee parking and community parking lot.:confused:

9. Mick

from Maine

Yes, you'd likely be measuring/quoting by the actual mile as it is probably not a standard lane width.

10. winter angel

winter angel Junior Member

Living Center

Did what I could to send an areal view of the property but google earth had no view of the property.

Just going to have to wing it with common sense:dizzy:

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Try this, Google earth is different. www.googlemaps.com