1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Commercial

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Enviouslawns, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

I have a few commercial propertys i take care of but i would like to get more but how do i go about bidding them? i know how to price them but how do i go about getting the chance to bid the property for snow, lawn etc........
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is this your first year plowing? Why can't you bid it as a package?
  3. Enviouslawns

Ya this is my first year plowing, will be third season doing lawn and landscping and i have 3 commerical accounts but i got those from knowing people and one guy called when he saw the trailer... but my main question is what do i have to do to bid a building i see when im driving down the road liek a hospital or hotels?

any help would be great
  4. grandview

First year plowing,stay away from those two and get your feet wet with smaller places.
  5. Enviouslawns

o ya for plowing i totally agree but for lawn maintenance and such, i asked at lawnsite.com but nobody anwsered lol
  6. grandview

For lawns you can just send in bids and label "to property manager" .If there chains you might need to find out where the HQ is.
  7. Enviouslawns

Thanks i appreciate it

any advice helps
  8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I've also wondered the same thing. Theres a couple lots close to me and I would like to get them as customers. Do you guys just wait for people to call you? or do you call the managers and ask if their taking bids on their property? Since we're not a landscaping/plowing company we don't advertise for snow removal, so I think its going to be hard for me to get other commercial accounts, other than our own.
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Make lot and lots of calls. Call CALL CALL. what can it hurt. they may say yes we are always taking bids, or they can say no we dont need anybody. Call corporate and you can usually get a bid sheet for a whole chain of stores, restaurants or banks for both snow and lawn service...
  10. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Make calls asking for the property manager or who is in charge of the grounds. I try to make a appointment with this person so you know exactly what service he wants before you make a bid. At the same time see how he/she is. After meeting him you may or may not want to place a bid. Right now I'm targeting Townhouse associations, I like them, you have less windshield and load/unload time. I have found talking to the associations president instead of the property management company has been more successful, they will buy from you if they like you type deal.
  11. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Dj, could you tell us how you find the president of the association? never have found a general office at the sites. Would the state department/city or town have record? Too many times wasted on a typical drive to locate. your help is greatly appreciated.
  12. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

Totally agree... I bet I called 30 locations in an area I wanted to target. I'd already had one great $$$ job in the area and wanted to pick up a few more while I was there... Drove around and got the names of the places I wanted to get (location, lot size, and type of bussiness). Started calling and got 3-4 in the area to fill my route. spent about 2 hours on the phone. First snow fall more then paid for the phone time.
  13. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we bid commercial on time, area, and traffic. if its a really busy place like the mall or hospital that busy really late we charge more.