1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bidding commercial properties

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nl&yc, Aug 21, 2001.

1. nl&yc

nl&yc Junior Member

hello we are a new property managment company and are getting into commercial sites.we have been approached by a hospital to bid for year round maintainance for lawn care and snow plowing,as well as sanding/salt.how do we go about bidding on a large job as this? we have new equipment a a 1 ton p/u and a 15000gvw dump.we live in Massachusetts and get a fair amount of snow. any info will be appreciated.thanks.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have just tried to figure out how much time it will take me with how many pieces of equipment you will have.So then if they want pricing by the inch you will have an idea.Don't forget to line up backhoes and loaders for piling and or removal.Where in mass are you from?

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

cat is correct when he writes about making up a formula for bidding. You do need to know what your equipment can do. From that point you must try and deal with the time and money factors. How much for both.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2001
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do you have any experience at all in snow and ice management?
    If the answer is no, then you have alot of work to do. Start with joining SIMA- Snow and Ice Management Association.
    www.sima.org
    With the resources available at SIMA you will be able to get a handle on things, and lessen the learning curve.
    You have way to many variables at work for anyone sitting at a monitor to answer. May I suggest that you call in a consultant on this size property and they can walk you through the bidding process, and at least let you know what your costs are,then you can add your margin to that and at least know you are in the ballpark.
    So you know that equipment you have will leave you woefully underequiped for a Mass winter. If you have any ? feel free to call me at 860-859-0739
    So you know I am not being a wise guy or condesending, just trying to be honest.
    Dino

5. nl&yc

nl&yc Junior Member

thanks

thanks for all the responses.we met with the company head of maintainance today and he will be faxing us copies of the last two contractors that bid on the property with all thier quotes and figures .we will do our own and see how it matches up to theirs.They are bigger and a bit more salty so it will be useful to us.thanks again for EVERYONES reply.neighborhood lawn&yard care.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

nl&yc - Do you really want to be basing your proposal from others bidders'? It sounds like the management expects you to be lower than both of them. Then they can give your bid to someone else to beat...and so it goes.

Good luck

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I agree, while using the previous contractors specs as a guideline can be usefull. The numbers are not of much use, unless you are way under them for some reason, then you know you can move up.
    However, even his specs may be way off from what the customer really wants. Why are they changing from last years contractor? Do they change every year? If so you are just the flavor of the year, and they are hoping you want the work, so maybe a low price is in the offing.
    We have all been through this and just trying to soften the learning curve a little. Although sometimes I think we are a little to free with the advice, and in doing so, kep many from learning at the school of hardknocks.
    Well anyway, let the customer write the specs and not the previous contractor. I know when the customer allows me to write the specs, there is only one person that could ever fullfill them and thats me.
    Also, being a hospital, they should have a written snow response plan, and if so, use that as a guide for pricing. If not, then show them how one is really needed to effectively manage the snow removal operations.
    Trust me the days of shooting from the hip regarding snow operations are long gone in a setting such as a hospital. If for no other reason their insurance carrie would like to see one.
    Dino