1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding commercial jobs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Racer28s, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Racer28s

Racer28s Junior Member

What is the best way to bid commercial parking lots, is there some type of formula other than just eyeballing. Some big lots are really tuff

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Some guys use sq ft, some go by parking spaces, etc. And some just know how long it will take with certain machinery. You need to figure out how long it should take, what youre going to use, how much youre gonna pay out hourly, your fuel costs, if sand or salt is involved and the cost for that, and also how much do you want in your pocket when the storm is over.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, I've found the best way is to post a Google Earth image of it here on PS and ask everyone to tell me their pricing, amount of salt, sidewalk times, etc. Production time is great to when they throw that in.

I'm now working on getting them to type up the proposal and mail it in for me as well.

Next up: Having them call me when it's time to plow.

4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Kind of like 'phone a friend' or 'ask the audience'. Its great because its so easy and takes the guess work out.

5. Racer28s

Racer28s Junior Member

Is there a number to use for square feet?

6. Mark Oomkes

What are you selling, square feet?

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Everyone's costs are different so you're not going to get a straight answer. However, what I do when I bid is calculate square footage and then compare it to a similar sized property that I already do. Even if it's a huge property that I have nothing to compare to I can still use my production numbers to calculate an accurate bid.

It's the easiest way for me but others might do it differently.

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Do yourself a BIG favor and spend a couple hundred bucks and join SIMA. Use the search button too..........if not you'll be lucky to leave this thread with your dignity. :nod:

:drinkup:

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

To late!

When you talk big how big? To some it maybe a medium lot.

If you join SIMA ,put down Grandview as a referral.:waving:

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'm gonna pee myself!:laughing:

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In the end aren't we all selling square feet?

12. chaos270

chaos270 Junior Member
    from CT

Figuring out your hourly rate is first. Next priority is establishing your production rates or finding someone elses if you don't know your own (be careful with this). Now you can divide your hourly rate by your chosen measure of production and have an idea of what you need to make for a given area.
    I personally have a base rate based on the length of time it takes me to plow a open empty parking lot of a certain size. I then have multipliers that I apply for increasing difficulty, obstacles, higher traffic volumes.

13. Mark Oomkes

You're selling real estate?

14. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

How about taking in to consideration how much snow you usually get in a season!.

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In the end aren't we all buying and selling 6ft under realestate?

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Go put your plow on and imagine there is snow in the lot and start plowing..make sure your plow is actually on the ground to compensate for drag/etc (windrowing & straight pushes also like your really moving snow) and to get the true effect....keep track of your time, and when the entire lot has been imaginary plowed....take the amount of time you spent (hours) x's $whatever rate you want$. :waving:

17. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

SnowCrete, should we now call him sparky?
    "he who plows blade down without snow..is a man that has no cutting edge" :D

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Could he use a training plow instead?

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:laughing:...it may be just the thing for him to do, in order to break in that new homesteader cutting edge befoe the snow falls.

P.S. to the OP - make sure you take a buddy to video tape this procedure, then post it on youtube for all of us here to watch. We then can critique it and give you pointers on how to improve your time. xysport

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

No, like I said before, he needs the real deal.....full weight of the homesteader, ballast and all.....wait I forgot to mention the ballast, SH*T.....OP, I hope your taking notes.