1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding and Market value?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bsmitty, Aug 17, 2010.

1. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

Hopefully someone can help. I have a couple of questions that I hope I can get help with. First I have a little over 10 years of plowing experience, but I have little to no experience in the bidding process. I was wondering if it is wrong to bid on lots per event of snowfall?

Example:
    2"-6"=$250.00
    7"-11"=$500.00

Second question is how do I know what market value is? If I am high, low or on the money? I don't want to be the guy that comes in and lowballs jobs and not know it. Any help would be great!

Thanks Brian

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Little vague on your question. Are you bidding a lot for that? It depends on what type of lot is to ,time open and close. Busy,not so busy.

3. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

They are all parking lots. The lots are all empty before buisness hours and during buisness hours they are not really concerned with having them cleared that often. The lots are smaller and all have 0730 start times and 1700hrs quit times. I hope this answers your questions, and thanks for the input.

Brian

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i was always told to use the 25% to 35% rule when bidding in incriments of snowfall, 2-4" = x, 4.5-6" = x+x.25 or .35, etc, etc. I try not to bid that way though, I don't like it.

as far as market value, you have to call around and ask. establish a decent relationship with the customer, sell them on customer service and maybe they'll give you last look and with that you'll know if you were high or not.