1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding a small subdivision in the morning...HELP!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by westwinds, Nov 22, 2011.

1. westwinds

westwinds Junior Member

I received a call to bid a sub and told the customer the bid would be complete by tomorrow. The road is 7/10ths of a mile paved and fairly flat. However I plowed a driveway in the sub last year and the roads drift horribly!!! It is in the middle of an old farm field and has nothing to block the wind. The road is in the shape of a 9 with a turn around at the entrance. There is not many homes in the sub as of yet and it seems that the developer will be picking up the tab for the road maintenance. Not sure how to bid this one. There is a lot of vacant lots and they want me to clear the existing homes driveway aprons (about a dozen).The trigger depth is 3". With the drifting it seems that it would require constant maintenance. I estimate it will take a hour to complete with 1 truck using an 8' V. I was plowing a road last year with a 7'6" straight blade for $65 with 8 houses and clearing aprons for each home. The road was much shorter. Normally took 20-30 min. I was thinking of the $150 range for this one. No salt or sand. Any thoughts?

2. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

$150 per push sounds decent for the road price, but all that really matters is that you are comfortable with the price. Not sure what you mean by 'driveway apron' but I'm thinking that's the entrance? Seems like if you really want the bid put it in for $150 per push. How many events you have up there? IMO you should offer a seasonal contract considering the possibility of drifting. Around here with at least 25 3" events a year plus drifting a fair seasonal contract would be 4-5k all day long. Good luck

3. westwinds

westwinds Junior Member

I'm comfortable with the price and yes the aprons are the driveway entrances. We average 25 events a year at 3" here. This road is within 1mile of a good portion of my accounts so I want to bid it correctly. I thought about adding an hourly rate of $65/hour for drift clearing in between plows. There is 2 places in the sub that drift the most and I figure a half hour to clean those up. Never dealt with seasonal rates. Doesn't seem that people in this area use them. We deal with lots of lake effect. So events can vary greatly but do average the 25. They also want a price on 2 drives in the sub which I would bid a discounted rate of $15. That puts the average total at $4500 for the season.

4. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

I live right on the south end of Lake Ontario so I know how crazy lake effect can be. That sounds decent man, I would be happy with that. Around here seasonal contracts are the norm, and if you can get that, perfect. Only thing I would suggest is a minimum for the drift clean-up.

5. westwinds

westwinds Junior Member

I'm comfortable with the price and yes the aprons are the driveway entrances. We average 25 events a year at 3" here. This road is within 1mile of a good portion of my accounts so I want to bid it correctly. I thought about adding an hourly rate of $65/hour for drift clearing in between plows. There is 2 places in the sub that drift the most and I figure a half hour to clean those up. Never dealt with seasonal rates. Doesn't seem that people in this area use them. We deal with lots of lake effect. So events can vary greatly but do average the 25. They also want a price on 2 drives in the sub which I would bid a discounted rate of $15. That puts the average total at $4500 for the season.

6. westwinds

westwinds Junior Member

Good point about the minimum! Thanks for your input! I'm feeling much better about the bid. Let's have a good season!

7. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

Word. I'm looking forward to the snow....seems far off tho. Supposed to be in the high 50s low 60s friday through the weekend here. I just want the snow to come, kinda tired of landscaping. Let us know what happens with this account.