1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bidding a shopping plaza..Help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jpragana3, Oct 2, 2008.

1. jpragana3

jpragana3 Junior Member

Hi Guys
    I am in mass and need help coming up with a bid for a shopping plaza that is 218,000 sqf. pretty much wide open, all most no shoveling. most of the walkways & loading docks can be done with my small JD loader. there is plenty of places to put the snow. He wants a per push price, any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks jim
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Can you give us any less info?
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

one pickup truck with an 8' blade and a good driver can do approximately 1.5 acres per hour.

That's about 60,000 square feet per hour.

that's 3.5 to 4 hours for one truck.

Multiply times your hourly rate.

Need more info for more info.
  4. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

i think a honda snowblower on tracks should work fine and file snow into 20ft piles :) but like JD said a little more info or a pic would be helpful? its hard to plow those if there are cars there as well......are they all gone at night
  5. jpragana3

jpragana3 Junior Member

thanks for the quick response
    this property abuts one of my own pieces of property,so i wont have to travel. I have 2 of my own trucks & one small JD 3720 loader,my good friend has the sanding equipment & is going to figure out his cost for that, the building has 650ft of strait store front sidewalk & 2 loading docks that i can do most with my loader. I have plenty of equipment a phone call away. this guy wants a by the inch price with a 2 inch min. I am not trying to low ball this bid, i need to get paid for the good service i will provide. just i have never bid a large plaza like this.. thanks jim
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, you're starting to sound like SF! tymusic :drinkup:
  7. jpragana3

jpragana3 Junior Member

most all cars will be gone at nite...thanks
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

1.5 acres/hour for an 8 ft blade, that really depends on where the snow is supppose to go. I have 12 ft pushers that only do 1.5 acres/hour because they have to push the snow for a mile. If I was bidding something with an 8ft blade I wouldn't even think about it doing more then 1 acre/hour. JMO
  9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I base all my quotes on 1 acre per hour per truck. Then push them with 12-20' push boxes and plow 2-4 acres per hour
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I like your thinking.:drinkup:
  11. jpragana3

jpragana3 Junior Member

how much should i charge by the hour per truck?
    then the loader by the hour price?
    then how much per hour over 10"?
    5.5 acre =6hrs of plowing
    another 1 1/2 hrs on the loader..2"-4"$850/ 4"-6"$1300/ 6"-8"$1850/ 8"-10" $2590
    does this sound right? help
  12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I don't get your question. If you are plowing per hour who cares how much snow is down. If there is 10 inches( don't know why you would wait that long) why would you charge more per hour, its going to take you longer so you make more money.
    As for how much to charge per hour for a truck, thats really for you to decide. What are your costs, then add how much you want to make. Lets say you arrive at $65/hr. Then go and find out what the going rate is in your area. Lets say the rate is $90/hr. Now you decide what you can charge. Do you low ball and charge $65.00, or match the price of $90.00, or are you sure of yourself, and charge $100.00. Now reverse that scenario, you arrived at $90/hr and the going rate in your area is $65.00. Do you even bother.
    You have to know your own numbers.