1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding a private street

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NLS1, Jul 27, 2007.

1. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Hi everyone, love the site, been looking around a lot the last few weeks, lots of good info. I have spent most of my career doing smaller parking lots and driveways, and restaurants. One of my summer customers is on the board for an association with privately maintained streets, and wants me to put together an estimate soon. He said they were extremely unhappy with the service last year, and the other 3 neighbors of his that I mow also have said the same thing. My reputation is good, and I am very confident that I could have the account, and I would easily be able to pick up many of the 50+ driveways while Im there. The road is one big circle with one leg off of it, the circle is .5miles long, the leg is .1miles long, and there is a 30 yard long dead end as well. The street is three lanes wide, newly paved and has 45 degree curbs, very flat, and pretty steadily turning throughout. I was hoping to hear your thoughts as far as what concerns I would probably have, what equipment I would need, how best to bill, how much, etc. I have two trucks, one with a newer Boss 9'2" poly v, and the other is yet to bet fitted with one. I am open to all related thoughts for this account, I would really like to have it nailed down soon and any help is sure appreciated. Thanks!:D
  2. ErnieN85

ErnieN85 Junior Member

I have almost the same situation however I own the road! and don't have 50 drives to plow. The road itself takes me about an hour to do right. When it drifts I may need to do it over! Probably the big concern is cars & trucks parked along the road. and or people who may be nasty about being plowed in (my brother inlaw). these things can add considerably to your time.
  3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I do a simular neighborhood. I totally hate it. All rich people that can complain like no other. I am not bidding it unless they askme to do so again and then I am raising the price.

I made the mistake of listening to what the assoiciation wanted, Instead of telling them of what they needed.

I don't have problems with tthe snow removal itself, Its the salt/sanding that goes on. Either its not enough or its to much. Can't keep them happy. Plus they want to tell me when to come and when they do, they are upset with me. Just can't win.

I ended up on going to one of the meetings explaind the situation. I told them that I wanted to deal with just one person instead of everyone, Let me run the show, Do what they are paying me to do, Well Because I am the expert, and then left. After that things changed for the better. We salted the way I wanted, I plowed when it needed it.

But On the bright side. They always paid on time.

So. If you really want to do this account. Bid it high. Because if you have to deal with 50 sets of home owners you need to get paid for it. Also if they have approached you to do it, and they are un-happy with there former plowing contractor then thier pocket books will be open to change.

Figure 2.5 hours for one truck. It might only take an hour, but like I said get paid for it. Also take into consideration the lay of the land. If its hilly, Flat, Open, or if there are trees all around. If you have changing grades then your salt/sanding applications will be heavy always. If you have flat open areas where its subject to blow-Freezing Sanding will be heavy. and so on.

I also do one driveway in this neighborhood. Its a tricky up hill hook drive with a small turn around at the top. It takes to long to do it, But the woman that lives there is real hot and I like to see her smiling at me in the morning. Makes her crappy neighborhood seem just a bit better

Sorry for my rant But this topic always gets me fired up.

4. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I appreciate the two cents from both of you, good point on the parked cars and the calls from too many people. I figured it would be 1-3hrs usually since it is flat, and will charge nicely for my services. I think if I can get a big number of the driveways all on this road, this could be extremely profitable, but I know I will probably need to add some additional equipment due to the # of other locations that I already have.
    Any other thoughts from anyone? Keep em comin'!!
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you do get the bid, look at getting a 9ft straight blade and add wings, possible even a trip edge. the V's are not the best at plowing roads and the cutting edges are expensive.