1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding A New Job

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Hambrick & Co., Apr 7, 2008.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

I'm bidding a new multi unit property and I want to make sure I'm not pricing my self to low. I not looking for specific pricing but I would like to know on average what you are all charging for each inch increment. For example 2''-5'', 6'' - 8'', 9'' - 12'' the entire job should take about 2 hours to complete and that includes sidewalks and salt during a 2''- 5'' snow fall. Also if the property will need plow stakes do I charge for that specifically or some how work that into the price some how? Any help would be great. Thanks Mike:waving:

2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I don't get this whole inch increment thing you guys are always using.

I would just charge a flat plowing rate Say like $200 and a follow up charge of say $185.00 throw in a 1 to 2 inch trigger and you can't go wrong.

if you get a 3 inch storm you get $200 If you go back for a "Follow up" and its snowed only an inch more you make another $185.00 So at 4 inches you call it quits and now have $385.00 in your pocket.

I only do it this way. On most storms we make the call out amount. on large storms we get the call out, and at least 1 follow up. But I have been out where we do between 1 and 5 follow ups on a single account.

Hope this makes sense.

Peterbilt

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

if it takes you two hours to do it, charge them $250, I charge $125 and hour per truck. If you have to come back again, Charge them $250. It does not matter if you are pushing 1 or 5 inches. You are there pushing for about the same time. And a lot should never have more then 6 inches on it unless you are in a blizzard condition then you should have a bliazzard flaw in your contract so you dont lose your ass. I have companies sign contracts and they ask what is a "PUSH". I explain I come during or before hours and make the lot accessible. If there are a hundred cars there and I am only there for 20 minutes instead of the usual hour it takes to clean the lot completely it is going to cost you the same amount. Some complain and I then give them a seasonal price. that i base off the last 5 years average amounts of times I had to push commercial accounts. I keep records of that and add on 10 pushes so I dont lose my butt if it is a real bad winter. They then chose that and I make morw money usually for less work in the end. The thing is every guy does it different and depending where you live makes a big difference. Hope this helped a little and good luck....

4. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

We ask all new customers "When do you want us to come?" With some encouragement they usually go for around whenever 2 inches accumulates. We show up when 2" accumulates and every 2" thereafter. Now there is some common sense that comes into play here. If it is a business that is closed at night, and we are supposed to get only 4" inches ending at midnight we wait til the snow stops then plow them. Yes, we could stick it to them and come twice, but the fact that we dont is appreciated and helps us retain customers.

Likewise, if it is snowing 2" per hour during business hours we probably wont be able to plow them every hour and so more than 2" may accumulate. Either way its "$X amount of dollars per push". We had 6-7 daytime snows this year where we plowed some customers 5 times! Big money making days!

The other thing we put in contracts is that if we do not do a full plowing, like just hit the aisles due to a lot of cars on the lot, or have to come back for "clean up" is billed at "$X amount per hour. So we could bill for plowing 3 times and have an hour of clean up for one storm rather that 4 plowings. This is another thing the customers appreciate.

Hope it helps.