1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding a neighborhood

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by PlowTeam5, Sep 12, 2011.

1. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

So I got a call from a friend the other night. Says he is the president of his HOA and they are tired of waiting 5 days for the city to come through and plow the streets. So he wants my company to do it. I have never bid anything like this before and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on how to price it out. They want a 2-4 inch price and then a 4+ inch price. There wont be any salting. Just plowing.I figured the best way to tackle it would be to have one truck go down the middle of the street with one on each side behind pushing the snow to the sides. Here is a map of the neighborhood. I boxed in the section that I gotta price out.

[​IMG]

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

How is your insurance

3. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

LOL all paid up. :nod:

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

No seriously do you have the proper insurance for a job like this

5. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Would I need some kind of specific insurance to do a job like this.

6. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

I dont know alot about this but wouldn't you need to get permission from the city? and if an accident happens would you be held liable being you took over what the city USUALLY does? I would DEFINITELY contact your insurance company first then possibly the city, around here they frown upon guys plowing unless the city themselves hires the company.. I think it could be done but make sure ALL your ducks are in a neatly organized legal signed and documented row lol then let er fly Thumbs Up

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can't just plow the street.

8. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

If it is a private HOA then I believe your regular business ins that you use for commercial and resid. would cover you, but you mentioned that they are waiting for the town to plow, so that means the HOA has turned the road maint. over to them. That means you have to have a rider on your policy for municipality work.

Be sure to check with the town and insurance company before signing any contracts.

9. grandview

If the town plows all the roads ,then they plow all the roads. Now if they were bid out to individual companies then that's ok.

10. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

I would definatly talk to the city because if it is considered a city street and you tear up the road you would have to replace it as well as be fined by the city. But if it is the HOA's then go for it and i would bid it by the hour.

11. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

you better bid it adding another depth because if you get over 8 inches it gets hard doing the roads. also how wide are the roads

12. grandview

Most roads are bid out by lane miles.

13. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

that sounds interesting ive never heard of citys bidding the snow removal, do you do any of that where your at

14. grandview

Not here, But Rochester and Syracuse do I think

15. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

ive never heard of anyplace in ohio doing that but if our govener has his way it may happen

16. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

If the roads you are looking at plowing are considered public roads you will need separate liability insurance (not cheap) for that and you should talk to the municipality about it. We've plowed public roads for our municipality for over 30 years but we are contracted buy the municipality not the HOA. Alot of municipalities in Ontario contract out plowing.

17. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Gonna find out town this week and goin to talk to the HOA president and see what all they did as far as having the city take care of it or what. I am thinking about bidding it by the hour. The road is prolly 25ft wide at max. Its just a typical neighborhood streets.

18. grandview

If the town was plowing that,it would be less then an hour to plow it.

19. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Bidding lane miles

Our snow bidding package will help you with this bid. It will also help you with any other snow and ice management proposal. Take the guess-work out of your bidding process. Here's what it includes:

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual � this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who�s first, proposal formats, don�t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD � calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.