1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bidding a lot for salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jbart06, Feb 12, 2015.

1. jbart06

jbart06 Member

I have a new parking lot that a friend of friend would like me to bid, they want plowing, salting and sidewalks done. In years past the place has purchased pallets of salt and had the plow guy use his spreader but their salt to do the salting. I think they have realized if they hired someone who could supply the salt it would save them some money. Im trying to get an idea on how much salt to use on a conservative level yet still being effective...Im lead to believe the place is fairly cheap about everything they do.if I attached this the right way you can see the size of it, I initially felt 1/2 a ton is plenty but wondering if even less would do it. thoughts?

fields.jpg

fields.jpg

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

How would it be cheaper to have a contracter buy it and mark it up rather than paying for it themselves?

3. jbart06

jbart06 Member

they are buying bags, then paying someone else to put it down at end of the day bulk would have to be cheaper. say it takes 1/2 a ton that's twenty 50 lb bags around here they range from 5-7 bucks a bag so the salt cost would be $100-140 plus whatever the guy charges in labor to put it down say he charged $40.00 that's $140-180. If they can hire me to bring bulk salt in at 120 a ton material cost is 60 dollars if I double that we are at 120 per application. seems like a savings to me.

4. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

I think your amount of salt used completely depends on site conditions. Sometimes more or sometimes less. Set your price somewhere in the middle. Depends on how your well your spreader spreads too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  5. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

I have found on certain sites a tail gate spreader uses the material more efficiently vs. flink on the dump and vise versa......

6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

We need lot measurements in order to even start giving you any useful info. Keep in mind that ON AVERAGE, you should be using approx. 750lbs/acre for straight rock salt. Obviously treated will lessen the amount, but there are numerous factors that go into app amounts such as sun/shade, air/pavement temp, amount of snow on ground, is it done or is it still snowing?, numerous others. As for buying cheaper than them, yes probably, but by the time you mark it up (most guys do 3x cost) I think you may be about the same. Do some measuring and post some numbers if you want more help.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015