1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding a Hospital

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by LapeerLandscape, Oct 12, 2015.

1. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

This has always been done in house by hospital maintenance people. This year they ask us to quote it and the cancer center right behind it. We are on good terms with them and do some of the grounds maintenance in the summer. They are looking for a seasonal price all inclusive, plow (15 to 20 times), salt (probably 40 times) and sidewalks (about 900'). We have the equipment and are familiar with big box stores and plenty of ins. I have a very good idea where I need to be for each place and am looking for a few opinions and any other advice.
    http://www.findlotsize.com/?place=1375+n+main+st,+lapeer+mi+48446&submit=Go&r=e

http://www.findlotsize.com/?place=1295+barry+st,+lapeer+mi+48446&submit=Go&r=e

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Is it going to be a zero-tolerance site with 24/7 coverage? I also assume being a hospital you would need to be doing site checks for run off that is re-freezing and causing hazards?

3. LapeerLandscape

24/7 coverage as a hospital should be, the cancer center is 5 days 8-6 I believe and yes we check our accounts daily as needed.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Nice. If it wasn't so far away from us I'd try to steal it from you. :p

Will they let you set up a salt bin on site?

And what kind of chem are they spec'ing for the helipad?

5. LapeerLandscape

Our yard and salt bin isn't too far away, small town.

The helipad hasn't been discussed yet but I am sure it will be a calcium chloride blend bagged material.

Last year the maintenance people salted with all bagged material and a tailgate salter.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You may want to think about using Liquid on the helipad to eliminate the potential issue with bagged material being sucked up by heli the turbine.

7. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

The lot at the hospital looks pretty full of cars, has hauling out been discussed?

Guessing there not going to want to loose any parking spots.

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

X2

Our 2 hospital accounts aren't any different from Wal-Mart/24 hour retail, etc. When I bid the first one the first season, I was intimidated somewhat by the fact that it was a hospital but it went no differently than the WalMart we'd done 2 years already. Ours sometimes call for salt on a dry lot, or clear but still wet lot, no different from retail.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fyi, be prepared to get called out to salt the last parking spot 2 miles away at 2am.
    I always hear the stories like this all the time from our guys.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Good communication and cooperation is the key. The staff needs to park in a designated area after a snow day so you can tidy things up a day later.

11. LapeerLandscape

We try and do that now at both Meijers stores we do, get them to park in another area at shift change.

12. LapeerLandscape

Hauling out has not been talked about and has not been an issue in the past.

13. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Wishful thinking...There is always an idiot or two that don't listen...Usally they drive "cummings" and are part of a Monarcy

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ain't that the truth.

15. LapeerLandscape

You and Biff keep spelling it wrong, its malarkey not monarchy.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  16. Defcon 5

Looks like a nice account...One and only thing I know about Hospitals is they like to be serviced...My personal opinion is I would do them on a per push per app basis...If I was going to do a seasonal I would have to be atleast a 3 year deal..I would also pump up your salting number due to the fact they are gonna want you to be.

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Looks to be a great gig. Just my opinion id add at least 10 salts to your number and be on the higher end of the plows. 24/7 needs to be baby sat

18. LapeerLandscape

I think we figured it for 40 salts and bid it for 50, plus a little extra here and there. The biggest thing is they just want a good job. The guys that work there dont put much pride into snow removal.

19. Defcon 5

Pretty much said that above...But your the Expert..Better watch out Lapeer I see Superior making a cold call in the morning

20. LapeerLandscape

Nothing like some friendly competition.:gunsfiring:
    I think it makes us better.