1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding a big Commercial account need help!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rnolloth, Jul 8, 2009.

1. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

Hey guys, most of my accounts i have now are smaller commerical accounts about 15 or so lots.Im getting ready to bid a a contract for snow and salting of a few big apartment complexes.My question is what do you all charge an hour per truck on a job like this?Also what is everyones thought on the price per ton of salt this year.I was thinking 85 an hour per truck for plowing and a 50% markup on the salt? Does this sound too out of line?And theu also want a bid for just salting the lots i was thinking maybe 65 per hour per truck plus salt.Please let me know what you all think i dont want to overbid or underbid this deal its pretty much mine if i make the bid right.Thanks alot huys and let the snow fly.Thanks again Ryan.
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

How can anyone answer that we don't know your expenses.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I get $50 an hour as a sub. Will you need sub's? You want to make $15 an hour to do the job? Like he said examine you cost's closely and build in profit or you just break even which is no way to go.
  4. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

Thanks for the replies,i guess i forgot to put in expenses.We pay our subs 60 an hour and salt cost is 240.00 per skid.All of our insurance is covered through my other business so im good there.Thanks for any other help you can give me.
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Never price salting by the hour. IMO

How big is "a big commercial account"?

Because BIG commercial and SKIDS of salt don't go together.
  6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Ryan,

We try to get 100 to 125 an hour on the truck rate up here. As for salt if you are going to use bags try to get a estimated area that needs salt square footage wise. Remember a skid is o one ton plus about a 1/4 ton of salt.

Also go to this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=41874 Contact Walker through the pm here. He can help you on hourly rates for down there. Pretty good guy to have a contact for down there too. Josh was the first post of the thread.

Good Luck,

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

All of the guys I have talked to charge like 3 times the cost of a 50 pound bag of salt to put it down. Figure out how much salt it takes to cover the lot. Somewhere here there has to be an answer to the problem. I just plow, so I have not much experience with salting.
    But, salting is a great profit maker. There seems to be twice the amount salting to plowing.