1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding 900,000 sq ft lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by LLWorks, Oct 19, 2014.

1. LLWorks

LLWorks Junior Member

Im new here. Recently I've been contacted to draw up a proposal to push a lot. I went to take a look and it's huge. Roughly 900,000 sq ft. It's a warehouse. I have never bid a lot this big. Looking for suggestions. Our average snowfall here is 35". Last year we had an oddball year and had gotten 66.5".
  2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

No offense but I would say your in way way over your head if you even have to ask.
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

20 acres Is a big lot

If you don't have few loaders I wouldn't bid on that

If you come on here and asking questions how to bid your over your head

But good luck
  4. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Bid it per hour or per push with fluctuations in the annual average like that. What do you plan on using for equipment? There is lots of productivity info if you search
  5. LLWorks

LLWorks Junior Member

I suppose I should have been more clear in my question but I'll talk to corporate and see how they prefer the proposal to be written. Ie: charge per inch or per push, break up payment over the quarter or the year... Etc. I have access to wheel loaders to push it off. It's a pretty straight, cut and dry push.
  6. Antlerart06

Say you have a Google earth pic of it To see where you can pile and how far to the pile areas

There is so many factors in bidding a lot this size

Say are those loaders have 14'-16' pushers on them
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Oh boy...

Best advice is to walk away until you have enough confidence on 5-10 acre lots before you attempt this. It will be quite an expensive lesson when you fail.

For a warehouse, I would have a minimum of a 2.5 yard loader with 16 foot pusher, large frame skid with 10 foot pusher, and a truck dedicated to the account. I'd like to see a Google Earth shot of it before I stuck with those machines. No way I'd consider it on a straight per push payment. Either per push with a retainer, as you're going to have big dollars laid out in equipment rentals, or straight seasonal with blizzard clause as a mulit year contract.

Post up a shot from Google Earth or FindLotSize and we can help you narrow the equipment you need down.
  8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Michigan seems to be a lower rate area as compared to other places. From what I have read in here the last few years, a large commercial like this ends up being awarded at $100 to $125 per acre plus sand and salt. In Michigan, I would not be surprised to see it go for $90 per acre plus sand and salt.
    Good luck.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

plus what national company has that site,? I don't want to see him get screwed.
  10. LLWorks

LLWorks Junior Member

I have access to two wheel loaders w 20' pushers and a single axle w 10' western on it. I've pushed lots of equal size and bigger but on my own dime I wanted to ensure my pricing was correct. Turns out the address was for a corporate mailing and did not need to be rebid. Next year the bid is up so I have some time to figure it out. For this season, they only are looking to have two smaller 1-5 acre lots done. Thanks for the input.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What's wrong with $125 per acre?

Unless it's a total pita, that's less than an hour's work.

I've done 8-10 acre lots in 2-3 hours. With a truck. Wide open.
  12. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

My rates are so low here in Mich that I have to be sponsored by a homeless child from Africa.
  13. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

There is nothing wrong with $100 to $125 per acre as long as you can move snow at an acre an hour or less. I should have said in general, as large lots across the snow belt seem to be done for a lot less than their size would imply. Usually because they are done with earth moving equipment, therfore, they get pushed at 1.5 or 2 acres per hour. In general, Michigan rates are lower than most. Must be because of the lake effect and everyone has a plow. I don't know for sure. I do know that a lot I plow for $150 here would be done for $90 there. I have seen it in here enough to be sure of it.
  14. Antlerart06

You sure that lot wasn't 3-4
    8-10 in 2-3 hrs with one truck
    We will go with 3hr on 10 acres you be clearing a acre in 18 mins There is no way you can with a plow on a truck unless you have a Snow wing on your truck or you driving 30 mph I don't see you doing that
  15. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

.021 sq. ft labor /salt up to 6''
  16. Mark Oomkes

Wide open.

8611 LP and 16' Ebling.

Unless findlotsize.com is wrong.

Plowed and salted a 9 acre lot in 2.5 hours with just an 8611.

That’s also why I don't understand why you put 2 or 3 trucks on small lots.
  17. Antlerart06

post the pic of the lot using the find a lot size I want see if you figure just the pavement or you figure the property

My 11ft Box pusher don't push that fast it might push 5 acres in 3hrs

Reason I put 3-4 snow rigs in a lot Im in and out in a hour or less and at the next job
  18. Mark Oomkes

Nothing personal, but you folks in Missouri (and maybe a few other locales) need to learn how to plow. Maybe it's the fact that we get 4 or 5 or 6 times as much seat time as you? I don't remember, and I know I looked it up once, but isn't your average snowfall in the 15" range?

We had 116" last year. We had 3 years in a row of over 100". You get pretty good at plowing and figuring out efficient methods of plowing when you go out that much. My dad taught me "radius" plowing 30 years ago, some seem to think it's the neatest thing since sliced bread. Nobody makes money when the plows are in the air or the truck is backing up. Find a way to do as little backing as possible and go to town.

I'm not going to post the location, too many folks in my area on PS. Maybe I'll PM it to you, but you still won't believe me. Trust me, if you're only getting 5 acres out of an 11' pusher in 3 hours, you either need a better operator or learn how to plow.
    Industry average for a pickup with an 8' plow is an acre per hour. You can't double that with an 11' pusher box? Why bother using it then?
  19. Antlerart06

We average at least 1 or 2 15'' blizzard each winter last winter was a big one for us over 60'' of snow most time we are around 35''-40''
    Your Snow and my snow is different Yours more dry mine wet and heavy its never powder
    You can post a photo with out a address I have done it all time
    I thought the Industry average with a 8ft plow was less it increase when you add wings
    I plow lots where is very little backing up I agree with you on that packing a plow is down time and is a waste

back to plowing 9 acres in 2.5 hrs with a truck even with a 8611 is still hard to believe
    Since every thing I read on here your only one saying you can plow up to 4 acres per hour
  20. Mark Oomkes

I'm not saying I can and do plow that fast every time. Not sure I could do it again.

The point I am trying to make, is that some of the times given when people ask these questions is nuts. And then we get told we're plowing for nothing. But one guy estimates 1-1.5 hours for a job that shouldn't take more than a half hour. If I can get a job done in a half or one third the time and move on to the next job, how or why am I charging nothing?

Not to mention, 10-15 years ago, in most areas, lots like thEze were all done with trucks and nobody thought twice about it. Now everybody says you have to have a loader or 3.