1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding 3 Commercial Properties

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonny01blaze, Aug 19, 2014.

1. jonny01blaze

jonny01blaze Junior Member

Hi everyone, long time lurker, seldom poster. I am expanding my winter operations which until this point has only had minimal commercial work. I have an opportunity to bid 3 decent sized properties but my numbers are coming out abit high due to the size I generally work.

They are looking for season contracts which I don't do everything for me is per push, again why my numbers are probably coming in high.

Site 1 - 103,000 sq ft.
    Site 2 - 155,000 sq. ft.
    Site 3 - 206,000 sq. ft.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

site three looks like a pain in the ass, id do

Site 1 - 50k up to 80"s plus salt - 475 per inch after
    site 2 - around 70k up to 80"s plus salt - 700 per inch after
    site 3 - depends on where you can stack etc. but for season id say 105k up to 80" plus salt and then 1800 per inch

thats just plowing, idk what sidewalks would be.

make sure when your doing seasonal you cap your snow level. if you dont and we have a terrible snow year you will be screwed. usually people around here will cap anywhere from 60-100 inches.

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I would go by the hour, especially for site 3. That one looks like its going to be a :realmad:

4. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

For never doing commercial work those might not be the best properties to start with. Especially, if you got all three of them. Just my .02

5. jonny01blaze

Hmm... Maybe my numbers werent too high, I'm a few thousand from your grand total. Sidewalks i have covered with a number im comfortable with. I do however like your approach with keeping salt as a separate charge.

6. jonny01blaze

Site 3 will be a major pita.... Ive been through this lot in the past years andnoticed the conditions during a storm. Im not a fan of hourly snow work, i prefer just pricing on size, but have beenplaying with hourly numbers on this one for the heck of it.

7. jonny01blaze

I appreciate your .02, but reread my first post. Im not new to commercial work or commercial bidding. I am however new to sites this size.

8. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I did and you said you have done "MINIMAL" commercial work...

9. jonny01blaze

I apologize, i should have elaborated, that statement can be taken several ways. Minimal meaning size, most of our sites fall right around 20k.

10. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

here the thing though, if you are efficient or a "Professional" you could probly do it for a few thousand less on each price. but these are pretty big lots. you may or may not have done lots like this before i dont know but there a lot to consider. especially with lot #3. you need to make sure your equipment can handle pushing to the stacking area. also make sure that you DO NOT include removal in any of these. being that your in PA i would assume that you get more wet heavy snow and more ice events than i do up here so salt as an extra is a must. even if you just through in there a salting per time charge and say not to exceed $$$ in salt per season.

11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

A guy in CT is gonna help a guy in PA on pricing? Are your markets the same?

No.

Anybody looking for pricing help really ought to be asking "I have this that and this for equipment, how long do you think it'd take to complete this job?"

There are two main components to pricing a job, well three.

1) How long will it take - varies by experience
    2) How much to charge per hour - varies a lot by market
    3) How much material will it take - also can vary by market

Holland MI and Grand Rapids MI - 20 to 25 minutes away and roughly $30/hr difference in plain jane truck prices.

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

On # 3, I would bid to cover my butt and make real good money. If I lost it, oh well. Not my problem they designed such a dumb parking space in the snow belt.

13. jonny01blaze

Great points everyone.

Broncslefty, I could but I generally won't under cut my bids just to get in the door. I'd rather be able to provide quality work from myself and my subs rather than being under too tight of time frames to complete or being behind the eight ball. We do get alot of heavy wet snow vs the light fluffy stuff.

Buswell, I agree with what you said as well. I'm in a position to bid these, number 3 will be a pain, the builder did not think of flow when he did this lot, believe me its a nightmare to just drive through. This one will be bid the highest and if I don't get it no sweat off my back. I don't work for free and am not going to loose money to gain a client.

Framer, Yes the markets vary, my prices vary, everyones costs are different but generally speaking we all have similar goals, operate a successful business. I am in no way asking for anyone to tell me what to charge. Your three components are what I use, and any good business person should use, to build my rates. I however charge by the sq. ft., differently than you but it is built off of my hourly rate, probably again different than yours. The problem I am running into is that my numbers don't equate very well to properties this size, I am over bidding it by too much, hence my need for discussion. Broncslefty brought up a few good points that I would not have thought of because I have priced differently in the past. These forums are sounding boards for us to help and work with one another in the same industries.

I appreciate everyone who is partaking in this, keep it flowing guys, Thanks again for all the feedback thus far.