1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid This?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cooters Dodge, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

I'm bidding on a storage facility? I've got several rows and little alleys. I'm thinking of using skidloader because I'll be needing to stack snow in limited area.
    Going by row!
    30 by 270
    40 by 350
    30 by 350
    30 by 350
    55 by 45
    30 by 160
    30 by 160
    65 by 35

Those are the different rows. Plus I will need to provide salt.

They are asking for a proposed price for:

1" to 4"
    5" to 8"
    9" to 12"
    and over 12"

Help on bidding this is greatly appreciated. At bidding snow removal I'm as green as my front yard. So all the experts come forward. Live in KY if that helps any.

2. drafto

drafto Member

$2.19 per 1000 Sq. Ft., and get a V-Plow.

Dan

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I would bid it by the hour @ $100/hr. for plow or $150/hr. for skid steer with 9' wide 3 yd bucket.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

All of the storage places that I have seen would have buildings on both sides of the paved area. You we be best with a 'V' blade, Blizzard or something with sides. If you plan on using a skidsteer then a pusher would be best. If you are in there with a straight blade then I would pass on the job. I could push all the areas, providing they are at the same location in 1 hour. If you are using the skidsteer then push all the areas then take the pusher off and pile the snow. You should know how long piling will take if you have a loader. I would add an extra 1/2 hour for the 5-9 and an extra hour for the next depth. I don't know what the hourly rate is in your area but this should help.

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

storage units ??

if its public storage inc. stay away they dont pay an besides have you ever plowed at a storage complex . it sucks there is no place to put the snow an then if you leave small windrows in front of the doors they get pissed . they dont wanna pay for the amount of work that is required to plow there locations

6. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Thanks for the replies. Yeah storage bends on both sides. Just curious how did you come up with 2.19 per 1000 sq. feet.

7. drafto

drafto Member

Pick-up truck - 2"-4" snow - including overhead and profit is $2.19/M.S.F.(1000 Sq. Ft.) - at this rate 175 units (175,000 Sq. Ft.) can be done in one 8 hour day which is about $50.00/hr. I am not a geek, I use a Means Estimated Catalog to guide me through some of my larger estimates or one I have questions about. It has not steered me wrong yet, knock on wood. The only thing I have found is that with my 8' V-plow these numbers are a little low. I can move more than what they estimate so if I go by them I know I will be faster thereofore make more money an hour. If you are curious it says $2.96/M.S.F. for 4-10" and $5.10/M.S.F. for 10-15". Means is a good guide that many contractors use for all types of business, it is a complied survey of national averages, it also has a factor to use by state and city. It is not perfect and it does not cover every variable but it gets me out of tough estimates feeling confident.

Dan

8. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

$50 per hour?..thas low for commercial....i dont know, but i have read on here one acre per hour which is 44,000 sq ft , with that your $2.20 rate was almost $100.00 per hour..i do like the 1000 sq ft breakdown idea...

9. drafto

drafto Member

I totally see where you think it is low, but like I said, I get more done than they base their numbers on, so I am in the $80-$100/hr range. It is just a guide, but the formulas for estimating they give you are easy to use and once you try them starting out like I did, you can tweak the numbers to better suite your plowing speed, vehicle size, plow size and style.

Dan

P.S. I love this site.

10. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Check with the manager to see if you have an area to store snow in the event of multiple storms. I used to do condo where we tri axled it out, as per the contract, time and materials. You don't want to run out of room and have to remove the snow without getting paid for it.