1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid Rigging & Other Chicanery

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by big acres, Nov 26, 2009.

1. big acres

big acres Senior Member

As late as it is, today I picked up a handful of commercial accounts and the other contractor doesn't know he's lost them. I feel guilty for not feeling guilty. From what I understand, he and the manager were a little too close (you get me) and some payments were "questionable". So they brought someone in to clean house, much to my benefit.

If you have heard some good ones, let's hear 'em.

Ever been asked "Who would be some people to call for bids to compete against yours?"...by a gov't official?

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Just this year in our municipality the CBO had his contract terminated for conflict of interest. It took just a couple of tax payers and a very on the ball councilor to bring on an investigation. Council and the investigation team were only going to review a set number of files at random. It was in the local papers that the "on the ball" councilor had voiced he wanted specific files reviewed. The investigation was conducted and nearing completion when the police were called to the municipal office for the theft of some files. The CBO claimed that they were in his office and someone had taken them. These particular files contained the specific documents that the councilor wanted to have submitted for investigation. So now not only is the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and a third party investigation company involved, so are the police, on our tax dollars. Honestly, in my opinion if it wasn't for the drama over the missing files the outcome may have been different and long drawn out.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's the interfering with an investigation by hiding records that will get them every time. Same thing sent my boss (federal) to prison and ruined several careers.

To answer big acres' question - Yes, as a federal employee, I used to do that all the time. I didn't have to get actual bids, but I'd have to document competitive prices. They'd be only too happy to supply competitors' (that they picked) prices. I didn't have take the lowest, just document why I selected this one.

4. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Chicanery,
    I will add that one to my repertoire. It appears to be interchangeable with tomfoolery and shenanigans.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

It happens alot-in esp in the private sector. In the public sector, many will purposely submit low bids, knowing they will make it up and then some on the extras (which generally dont require competitive bids).

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i'v experienced it a few times over the years . one major fuel supplier gas station manager had asked me for a quote at the time my route was a bit full . so , bidding the property accordingly $$$ , she didn't even question the contract . 2 years went by and the 3rd winter season , she was no where to be found . she actually was "tacking on '' ghost salt applications and such , re-writing the invoice and submitting it . i since aquired another outfit and was asked to bid on the same property. when i tell you they trimmed the fat , i mean it . my #'s were actually snickered at during a meeting .. i see this go on alot .

another scam , as most may know is the "cold approach 2 bidder " . most outfits consider this normal business practice .

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

From 35 years in the excavating biz,I can always tell when I'm being USED!!!!! I'll usually play with them some-give them some ''food for thought''.There's always an illegal around the corner who can do it '':laughing:cheaper.''

8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Good stories guys -keep them coming.

Stik -glad you like the old school verbage... I almost forgot about tomfoolery and shenanigans.

May I also suggest... Skullduggery, double-dealing, and subterfuge for you repertoire?