1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bid question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jwwieberg, Dec 7, 2006.

1. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

when you send a bid price 2-6 ,6-12 and so on, if you get a 6 inch snow people would argue saying it could be the lower price. why not say 2-5, 6-12, 13-18 instead, snow isn't measure in inches 5.9 or 6.1 How do you agrue with them on this. Should a 6 inch snow be the lower or higher price.

2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I've got my bids @ 2 - 4", 5 - 6", & + $ per additional inch thereafter I also use whatever the news said was the highest amount for that area so that way there is documentation as to how much we actually got.

3. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I use a ruler at all my sites and total it up. I specifically have in my service agreement that the totals will not be determined by weather or news broadcasts.

Ive seen it snow 6 inches in one sub, and 5 inches a half mile away in the next one, and the news say we got 4 inches before.

I do it differently than most....so take that with a grain of salt.

4. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I just go with what the news said what each area got.

5. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

i have used a yardstick before if they want you to be exact

6. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

What I'm getting at is, isn't confusing to bid 2-6 6-12, which price would you go if you got 6 inches, Snow is usually measure by the feet not inches, If weather man said we got 6 inches, do you charge the lower or higher price, why not say 2-5, 6-12 and so on. People might get mad if you charge the higher price instead of the lower price.

7. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Yes Jw it is very confusing and very hard to collect that way...we do as stated above. 1-4", 5-8", 9-12" and so on. We also measure several times at a site and log measurements. we take the average of the high and low and bill customers according to snow totals reported online by the National Wether service in our area.