1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snoworks, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

OK., I thought I had seen every possible snowplowing scenario, until today. I went to bid a New 110 unit town-home development today, located in the heart of the city of Chicago. Its a high priced HOA with units selling for well over $800,000.

Street s.f. - 40,000
    Driveway s.f. - 25,000

There are 6 dead end alleys that make up the streets(approx. 300' in length). All the snow must be drag from the driveways into the streets then dragged 300' to the city streets. Then the snow must be removed from the site. There is absolutely no room for snow disposal in this development, even a 2" snowfall will require removal.

Any suggestions on how to handle pricing for this project. If I price it by the push to just plow the snow to the city streets, then charge by the hour to load and haul, it will be difficult to separate the two functions. How can I get around this.

I don't want to plow this by the hour, because the profit margins I am looking for will not be attainable.

I think my best bet is to sit down with the property manager, and discuss whether they are willing to spend the appropriate amount for my professional services. I was thinking of mentioning a cost of $50,000 for the season(10 plow-able events annually), and see how they react.

Any suggestions!

Chuck B.
  2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Your bid would come to around $455.00\unit per season. That sounds reasonable to me for PIA work. Especially considering the people living there should be able to afford that if they can afford to buy them. Good luck.
  3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

If there is 25,000 sq ft of driveway by 110 drives that's 230 sq ft per drive. At 18' wide that makes them 12' deep. You might do this with a ski loader and a blade.

Rather than charging for the hauling by the hour if you can figure out what your costs would be by the inch, I think you'll stand to make more money if estimated properly.

Also - you don't mention de-icing. I'm assuming this would be on a per occurence basis. With that kind of traffic on limited pavement you'll want to be able to de-ice particularly with a 2" trigger. If you have to haul all the material that is plowed maybe burning down as much snow as possible with salt will help out. Particularly if you charge hauling by the inch.

I guess a good way to look at is $50,000 divided by $150.00 per truck hour equals 333 hrs, by 15 events (to be conservative) gives you 22 truck hours to do the job in that time frame?

Are there any sidewalks to be cleared? De-iced?
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well first do you have trucks to haul and a place that you can count on to dump for a fixed cost that will be the same every storm,at least for that part of it.Then Like some one else said just figure it by the inch but include the hauling and loading fee,s into the equation.
    The price for clearing will be the same every time for 0-3,4-6 ETC. and loading will be the same ,the only two that you might have to warrie about if you can't get a fixed number on is the hauling and dumping fees.They could be different every time for example if they have to haul farther and different sites might charge more.

I think if i was to bid it i would keep the removal seperate .
  5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

There are no walkways to clear. Salting has been requested for the streets and driveways.

-With regards to the hauling. I am concerned about this particular task. I will need the trucks at the end of the alleys while I am clearing them. The problem is I have no clue when the trucks will be there. I can't leave the snow piled up at the end of the alleys to wait for the trucks.

-I was thinking of researching the dumpster scenerio. I could place them on the city streets. Would have to clear it with the city. The only problem with this scenerio, it that, I would have to drive back and fourth to the dumpster when loading.

Chuck B.
  6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Most cities require permits to place

A dumpster on the street.

You may want to look close at this site and see if there isn't a spot near the main road that you could pile snow during the storm. Then when its snowing you can call the trucks in during the storm and give them time to get there and as soon as it ends you can have the trucks on site to start loading them.

I speak from experience because I have to arrange for the contractor to haul snow away from our Hospital lots as soon after a storm as possible, because we don't have enough parking during good weather let alone after a snowstorm.

You will most likely pay hourly for the dumptrucks, like we do but thats not as big a problem as finding somewhere to dump the snow.

By the way, to give you an idea, we hauled snow for two days each from two of our sites at the hospital.

The bill was :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: