1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid on mile long road?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by benabarlow, Oct 7, 2008.

1. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

How much would you charge to do a mile long loop? I figured it would take five to six passed. Each pass takes about 5 min. Which is a bit heavy on the time. Thats going 10mph or so. Salt here is $85 ton. I think it going to take a ton of salt to do the loop. F250 with fisher plow and a mid size salter on back. Here's what I'm thinking. $75 to plow and $150 per salt application. Am I wrong or right?? Any help would be great!! Thanks in advanced.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What kind of surface and how wide? 5 - 6 passes? Must be a four lane street. Then size of the plow is more of a factor here than the truck being a 250.

edit: Still using that 810 listed on your profile?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I try to get $100 per hour plowing. Not sure what you are shooting for but using the numbers you provided 6 passes times 5 minutes per pass = 30 minutes. 30 minutes = $50. Since this is a relatively "easy"plow, assuming it is a paved road, and not a lot of backing up or moving around curbs and junk, you may be a little high if you are competing with other guys for it. If noone else is putting in a bid, you may be ok since it is quite a large area.

I bet you will also find you will have to work your way up to faster than 10 mph, especially since you need to throw the snow out of the way for the next 20 times you have to put all that snow somewhere!

As far as salt, I have no idea.

I would also check the road out carefully for raised manhole covers and things like that so you find them BEFORE you ram into the with your plow at 20mph. Cause that really hurts!
  4. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

I wish I was still using the 810. Back to fisher 8. Paved surface..
  5. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Sounds good for your prices, if you can get the contract. Might drop the hour rate alittle, and keep the salt rate the same, if you are worried about someone lowballing you. But you should finish under an hour easily.:D