1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid on housing assoc road...help please.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NPCInc, Nov 5, 2004.

1. NPCInc

NPCInc Junior Member

Well I just went and looked at a road for a housing association and I don't know where to start with pricing. The road is dirt and just over 1 mile total. They want a seasonal price on plowing the entire road and sanding only 2 sections of hill totalling about 400 ft. I have an 04 K3500 and Fisher 8' plow and I'll be picking up a Snoway 2yd spreader this weekend from my brother. There will also be a minimum of two driveways that I will be plowing separate from the road price. Any advice on bidding this will be greatly appreciated! Forgot to add, it took me just under 20 min to get there with little traffic.

2. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I don't know if there is a "set price" to charge for plowing.Price would be affected by ditch grade(for holding snow),amount of traffic you will have to deal with while plowing the road,what the depth trigger would be etc. I have given bids that people thought were to high :( ,and given bids that folks thought were to low :) . It is a learning process.Unless you are figuring your rate by the hour,each property is different.Do as others do just starting out,make your best educated guess and take your chances.Good luck,have a great season!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

NPCInc, as northernsweeper said, it really depends on a lot of things. I'm NE of you about an hour (Palermo). I've been plowing private roads like the one you're describing for several years. If you'd want to pay my gas, I'd come over and go over it with you; maybe give you some pointers and at least let you know what I'd charge. I just really hate to speculate without seeing it; there are so many things that can affect even how you'd approach it. One problem I can see right now is that you're letting them dictate what and how much to sand. Make sure you at least advise them that it all may need sanded at times and that you document somehow that they are controlling the sanding. Maybe by putting on your contract that "sanding is not included. Owner will contact (you) to request sanding."

4. VALLEYWIDEPA

VALLEYWIDEPA Member
    from pa

how many storms u get every year and its $125 for every 1/4 mile of roadway. do they want this continually maintained every 3-4 hrs or a 1 shot deal

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That would be nice. But around here you really can't apply a set rate per mile. I charge based on characteristics of the road.

If NPCInc wants storm data for this area, I can provide that.

6. NPCInc

NPCInc Junior Member

Thanks guys! The one important question I forgot to ask him is frequency.:dizzy: I'm going to call him today. Most of the road has plenty of ditch area for pushing the snow, there are a couple narrow spots but then it widens out again. Mick, you're exactly right about sanding. I planned on stipulating in the contract exactly what they asked for and that it would be an extra charge to sand more or more often. Most of it is straight flat road except for a wide T intersection and the ends of both legs where it will need to be pushed back in the turnaround areas.

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you were to charge by the hour it would self adjust. then it doesn't mater how many times you have to do it or how long it takes. If the owner was unhapy with the admount of work you did then just do more and get paid more. If he wants to cut back then do a little less and save him some money. That way the owner thinks he has control and you can adjust the time spent on the job. Say he wants some extra push back hay it's ok and he already knows he will be charged for it.
    All we are selling is Time . Time to produce a safe place for the customer. it ain't all that hard.