1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid on Condo-Village

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by HotMountain, Nov 20, 2007.

1. HotMountain

HotMountain Junior Member

Hi there,
    I'm just starting my business this year and already have two residential accounts. Now I am bidding on a 30 Unit Condo-Village. No sidewalks, just driveway and walkway to the frontdoor. The want a bid on a 1/2" and a 1" policy. For a 3" contract people are willing to pay around $200 (Canadian).
    So I figured those numbers running the show with a snowblower (one man)
    -1/2": $300 per Unit per month = $9000 (total)
    -1": $250 per Unit per month = $7500 (total)

Now I was a bit shocked by the total. Should I consider a discount because it's all together?

2. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

How much area is involved?
    30 units can take 2 hours by truck/atv/skid steer $200-$300 per pass. Any main road or do they face the city street?
  3. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Wow, you make it sound so complicated. We take care of 18 large condo sites and all are on monthly price except for 2 that are by the hour. Those condos, we do the sidewalks/driveways on a trace and the parking lots by the hour with bobcats, bladed track machines on various triggers.

It sounds like you might be chewing off a bit more than you can handle and yes, your price will prevent you from getting any work as I don't work too far from you guys.

Usually it's hard for a guy to price condos the first year. It takes years to be bang on and survive any mistakes you can and will make. Be careful, you could wind up eating lots of crow as they are not so forgiving when you can't perform your contract.

Give them a price by the hour, cause it's late to book a contract, like very late, most condos at this point have signed, so give them a price of $65/hr for your blower and you're sure to make money. If you need a shoveler to help, and if it snows heavy you will, and charge 49/hr for that guy.

Pm me if you have any questions.

4. HotMountain

HotMountain Junior Member

Ok, today I had another chat with them and they want one visit per day for 1/2" or more on the ground and $300 per month per Unit is far too much for them

Each unit has a garage and a little walkway (20 feet). Bid is just for that. No sidewalks on site and road is not my business.

I have to other residential accounts and they pay $200 per month for driveway and 50 feet sidewalk. Only thing is, they run on a 3" trigger.

The Condos had a company which charged $ 8,000 for the whole winter (Nov - March). But they did a crappy job So everyone in the village wants another guy.

The average snowfall is around 52 inches per winter.

Thanks for any comment.
  5. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Just for measurement sake how many cars could be parked on each individual driveway? Are there any common parking areas in the complex? Is salting an issue in Edmonton is is it just too cold to worry about it?
    As DURACUTTER says everybody else has already signed for the season. Hourly may be everybody's best bet now.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

7. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Per Unit

8. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

9. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

10. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Last guy got $8,000 for 30 condo for 5 months correct. That is $53 per month per condo or $266 for the season. My guess is they are looking for something in that range. I understand that the last guy was no good, but money talks.

Hotmountain, you said "For a 3" contract people are willing to pay around $200 (Canadian)" Is that for the season or for the month?

How many minutes is it going to take to clear a single condo?
  11. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

This isn't that diffcuilt. Estimate how long it will take you to clear the complex on a 5" snowfall. Break it up into sections if you have to (that should take 10 min, that 4 min, that over there 15 min, etc) You should get about $150 per hour on a contract like that for a 8' straight blade. Do the math, look at the numbers. Do they look right?

W/O pics, I would say that $260 per condo for a season is pretty good. Most resi contracts are going for $220-$280 per yr @ 2" min.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2007