1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid is due need your advise.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mojob, Oct 29, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob Member

I'm new to this biz and don't have a clue as to how long this is going to take to clear. We don't get a whole lot of snow here. I only had to shovel about six times last year. Average snowfall is about 3-6" with each event. The property manager that I do lawn work for asked me to bid on snow removal for this place. Total area to clear is a little over two acres with open walkways that will probably catch some drifting snow. I plan on doing this with one truck with an eight foot V plow. Am I biting off more than one truck can handle? Any help would really be appreciated.

Ironwood Plaza.jpg

2. mojob

mojob Member

Anybody? I'll settle for a scientific wildass guess.

3. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I think if you could give more specific costs to you someone could help you out.

Say your insurance costs?,price of fuel?,what you wish to profit?,going rates in your area should be figured in too.

4. NASConst_land

NASConst_land Member

Just from looking at that picture I would say you would have about 4 hours into plowing that with one truck. Depends on sidewalks and pavement condition and stuff like that too. Here in Ohio you could charge $280-$360 Per Push and then $140-$180 for Salt.

5. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I was thinking 4 hours myself.

This is a large lot do you know anyone else with a plow you could call to help you out if needed? this could reduce your total time on the job but might affect your pricing to be competitive.

Good luck on your bid

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Hour per Acre?? Anyone?

Open lot, yes, obstacles will slow ya down a bit.

But that looks like a quick bang bang outa there in 2.5 to 3 for sure, depending on where you put snow. Well the 3-6" thing too, 4 on the outside.

7. mojob

mojob Member

Murray NAS Framer thanks for the reply. I'm in for a crash course in snow removal. By April I hope to know enough to at least ask intelligent questions. Thanks again.

8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Looks way too big to cut your teeth on. You will do more harm to you and your reputation by taking this on and failing at it then it is worth.

9. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Dunno. Do you have a backup? What happens if you have an equipment failure or damage? Are you throwing salt too?

10. mojob

mojob Member

I submitted two bids already. One, with a per push price and another with a seasonal price. Does anyone else bid this way? I figure it gives the customer more options. Take a chance with per push price or feel secure with the flat fee. I will apply salt to the walkways.