1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid help request

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by birddseedd, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

biding for the faa.

93632 sq foot on 3 parking lot type areas. some islands but well laid out and easy to navigate.

12066 sq foot of walkways. 1/4th might be able to be plowed with the truck. some are sitting areas outside doors, half or more is 4 to 6 foot wide.

a 51500 sq foot road (2060 x 25).

need help with plowing/blowing as well as for calcium cloride for ice melt (not salt) for the entire thing. (157198 total sq ft)

thanks for the help

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Figure how long this whole thing is going to take..shoveling, de-icer, plowing, blowing, everything...including hired help time..now add 2 hours.

Take that number, and mulitply it X $135.oo- minimum. $150 is better.

Then add the cost of the de-icer, the help's hourly wage, and coffee money.

Trust me, no job is worth doing if you are not making money. And by making money, I mean putting $$$ in the savings account after EVERYTHING pertaining to the job is paid for. That's why I said add in coffee money.

If you don't win the bid, count it a BLESSING. You are out to make money, not scrape by.

Good luck!

3. birddseedd

Thats a tough lesson i'v been learning. craigs list has helped

4. birddseedd

How much calcium do you think this will need?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you running for equipment?

6. birddseedd

A push behind spreader ill be buyin :p

8' plow with box extensions.
    straight blade.
    snow blowers

thought about putting a blade on my mower but not sure how itl start in the winter.

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I think I'll subscribe.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does the FAA require an equipment list to be submitted with the bid?

9. birddseedd

Not that i have been informed of. i'm actually doing it through another company. an over paid sub basicially. i spoke with him via email and he said his office has a formula to let them know what they shoudl expect for certain services. he's gonna be back to me. then i quote him what i charge.

being plowing ill want to be sure i bid what is well worth doing the job.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How long do you think it will take to spread salt on two acres plus nearly a mile of sidewalks and a lane mile of roadway with a push spreader?

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Well that makes it much clearer. Why isn't the contractor you sub for bidding this? Secondly, how the f*&% do you end up a sub on a contract you are bidding? If you get it, this guy gets the lions share of the profit?? Either I missed something or this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

12. birddseedd

not as good at estimating plowing as i am mowing. need a little more experience in it. but i would say an hour to do the spreadding. hour for the walks. 2 hours for the plowing.

tho. i tend to underestimate time frames things take

13. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You must walk very fast

15. birddseedd

ifin it makes me more money. i'm bad at estimating. what is a more likely time?

16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Getting better all the time.

17. birddseedd

put some good work into that plow last year. this year i want to replace the one old cyl, double check the welds. need to make new mounts for my truck and have a pro weld them. and upgrade to electronic controls.

shoud do well this year. last year wasnt that bad.

18. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

You are going to push spread over 2 acres of lots and walks??

19. birddseedd

The problem is they require calcium. doubte any contractor will have calcium in their truck spreadder.

as far as buying one of my own i'm just not sure i can afford it. And i woudl rather push than buy a crappy one for cheap that wont work and spend more work fixing it than using it like it was with my plow the first couple years.

20. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I run calcium in my tailgate spreader all the time. No big deal. Look for a tailgate spreader on craigslists, ebay, somewhere. Even if it a snowex 575 that is better than walking all of that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.