1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid help Please!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Dumpster Guy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Thanks in advance!
    I know some of you may say I am over my head but i am going for it, this is a new building never been serviced with snow removal. So I am not taking someone elses existing work. Keep in mind we live in the West of Canada Which is like a Seattle like climate.

the lot is a trucking company with loading bays on both sides of the building
    that the two 900ft x 200 ft areas.

one 900 x 30 is a clear lane

the right side of the picture is 200 parking stalls with some islands

for total of 414,000 sq feet I will be using a 9ft Plowdogg pushed by a dodge 5500 with a snow-ex 8500 for salt

3 major questions are
    how long will it take me to plow
    how long to salt
    and do you think 4tonne of salt is about right

bin.jpg

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

at almost 10 acres...I would say 9 to open....another 3 to clean up. and 2 hours to salt including loading salt.

do you have access to a loader? a compact tractor or ss would really help you on this one.

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

are you responsible for the sidewalks to? :confused: i think thats a little large for a one truck operation, as stated above what are you using to load spreader, do you have bulk already lined up? i agree with sal's numbers time wise, if i were to do this i would want one pickup (1 ton with at least 9' blade) a dump truck (550 or comprable dump with spreader and 10' blade) and a skid steer or toolcat with a small blade for walks with spreader on back, and a 9' blade for loading docks and tight areas...

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is too much just for one truck. You will not be productive enough to keep the place running smooth or clean. Trucks getting stuck, management pissed off, lost money on both sides. find some more equipment if you want this place. At least another truck. two trucks will take you 4 hours to plow....a little more then 3 tons of salt also. good luck....

5. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Thanks for the replies!
    I was blown away today when I saw the size of this lot> the ultimate thing is we don't see allot of snow here or often,but when it does happen there are very few contractors to meet the need. I wasn't planing on going for contracts this big, but hey you have to start somewhere. (haha)
    http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42923&stc=1&d=1223942381

The picture above is of my john deere 313 SS with a plow. My truck is a sterling Bullet (f550 Size) I have to commit to my blade & spreader in the morning. To be installed next week.

Here is what my set-up would look like;

truck Sterling Bullet (f-550 size)
    Blizzard 860SW (speed wing) or Snowdogg 9ft
    John Deere 313 with 6ft blade and Bucket
    Snow-ex SP8500 Spreader or Hi-Way P Spreader
    Some shovels Labour and a walk behind spreader

How much longer would it take to clear
    0-3
    3-6
    6-12

I have to say that I would have thought it was easier to plow and understand the business but to your guys credit there is allot more than meets the eye when it comes to this business. I have read thousands of posts and I am truly addicted to this site. I hope to be an active contributer to the site once I gain some experience. Thanks guys!

So now that I have a truck & SS & a spreader. I have to figure out the salt issue. It doesn't snow here enough to have a loader on-site to load salt or sand. When it snows i would have the SS on-site no problem but when just salting I don't know how to solve that problem without buying a monster spreader?

Again>you guys rock!

Also to clarify I am in Vancouver Canada

6. LawnProLandscapes

0-3 = 9 to open
    3-6 = 11 hours +-
    6-12= 16 hours +- (based on my plow production rates with one truck)

salt is hard to say thats usually based on conditions and level of service desired by client.. im not much help in the spreader department.

for a blade it depends what brands you have support with... if going with blizzard go with the 8611 which is a bigger blade (11' in wide pass) and since you get small snowfalls it could cut down on your plowing time. also if you have access to Sno Way plows look into the Megablade Revolution, with wings it's 11'4"!! that will definately help you since you have an open lot mostly. if you were in my area i would suggest a 10' boss V plow because we sometimes get hammered with lake effect but that isnt the case in your area. ...

are you going to keep the jd Skid steer on site? maybe get a bigger blade to use it on the open areas, or maybe even a pusher box? the 6' blade will be good for backdragging loading docks... also where are you going to store the salt and are you going to use the skid to load that to? if so how are you getting skid to site?

7. LawnProLandscapes

!

So now that I have a truck & SS & a spreader. I have to figure out the salt issue. It doesn't snow here enough to have a loader on-site to load salt or sand. When it snows i would have the SS on-site no problem but when just salting I don't know how to solve that problem without buying a monster spreader?

Again>you guys rock!

Also to clarify I am in Vancouver Canada[/QUOTE]

maybe invest in a snowblower for sidewalks, if you get heavy snow people get tired shoveling real fast.

maybe buy a cheap tractor with a loader on the front to load salt... or talk to local excavating outfits, maybe they slow down enough there where they would be willing to sub contract you a skid steer to keep on site, would be a good contact to if you got hit with a big snow they could help you dig out.

8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Sure you'll need to back-drag some docks to keep them running, but the best way is to work learn the inbound and outbound traffic patterns and work with their dispatch and spot drivers to have sections of trailers pulled out so you can swoop in and make parallel runs to the building.

I've read about the vancouver market being a goldmine, when it actually snows. If it were a large storm, I think you'd be in trouble without more equipment. Just my opinion, but if it is coming down at over two inches per hour where will you be when your done -starting over?! Good luck

9. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

I was thinking of a snowblower but i am leaning towards an ATV because it might be usefull for others tasks.

I know a couple of guys with machines that will bail me out if needed.

I have bins with lids on them that I could put salt in and leave them on-site but those bins are in demand and the salt wouldn't do them that much good. Holy crap I can't figure the right combination. I need alot of equipment to make this work is one big one better than a few smaller ones? I guess I just have to charge enough to make it worth while.

filmtv.jpg

10. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I would look at a different blade,, Pretty sure its the 8611lp. If I am correct thats a light skid, no pusher just a plow which you said you had. Use that to back drag to all the open areas. Being a dumpster man you've gotta know some local contractors. Make some calls and get another truck on site as a sub and another skid ( or a small wheel loader and you'll be fine) I would have the second truck being a 9'+ plow.

That is at least for the snow in my area. Not sure how it comes down around you.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I cannot believe the building owner would be cool with it taking 7-8 hour to plow there site.(1 truck 1 skid). One additional truck would at least allow you to clear a couple of areas at the same time.

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I like your slogan...very clever! Good luck with your bid. BTW-you're at the right place for the wrong advice. LOL.

13. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

JohnnyRoyale> can't take credit for the slogan but it works. I have only "credited back" someone's garbage once more headache than it was worth......(maybe not)

Superior L & L> I don't think they would be cool with it taking 7-8 hours, I will bring in some sub with bigger equipment. (everyone says yes now, but we'll see when the **** hits the fan)

I will be offer this work but I am debating if it is profitable given what I have to have in place to make it happen for the amount of snow we see it might be more profitable to do some smaller projects this year.

Thanks again guys!