1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid Help Please!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by LawnGuyLocal, Nov 7, 2014.

1. LawnGuyLocal

LawnGuyLocal Junior Member
    from owner

I am new to the snow plowing game, I am located in NorthWest Arkansas. Winters here aren't usually that bad, the last few winters have been terrible though. I am lawn guy looking to expand my business. I bid lawns on time a time basis, is that a safe way to bid snow pushes? Or is square footage the way to go? If so, whats a safe number per square foot I can charge and cover expenses? These are my thoughts, For instance, if a customer has a drive that takes a half hour to plow, and a another half hour of shoveling sidewalks and putting salt down, would $75 plus the cost of salt be a competitive price?
  2. jerpa

jerpa Member

Prices are going to vary greatly based on area and your overhead will be far different from mine so my price means nothing to you. Calculate your direct costs, expected wear and tear on equipment, add in your profit margin and you have your price. I aim for $125-$150 per hour plus salt applications which I price at 5x the cost of product.

I don't like square footage estimates for plowing because they don't take into account the difficulty of the lot. A wide open 1 acre lot may only take 30-45 minutes whereas a 1 acre lot with lots of obstacles could easily take double that. It's a good way to price salt applications though.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Listen to this guy^^^^^^^ !!
    He is exactly right IMO.
  4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

sure you can look at a lot with degree of difficulty in mind and still use SQx2
  5. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

This is the same pricing neighborhood I shoot for as well.
  6. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

But being new to plowing, he's going to lose his shirt on time until he figures out how to best work around obstacles.