1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid Help Please

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snowy, Nov 5, 2014.

1. snowy

snowy Junior Member
    from nj

im bidding on a 7500 sq ft store parking lot that comes with approx. 200 ft of sidewalk(corner bldg) I'm interested in a per storm price and a seasonal price. They want the pricing to include salting. Estimate please... I'm guessing 7 50lb bags a storm? I'm estimating 14 storms for the season here in NJ. Id appreciate any help thanks!

2. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

Instead of 7-50# bags, go with 5-80# bags. 20# salt won't make much of a difference, and 80s are much cheaper than 50s. I get pallets of 80s now, but will try to be buying a tri-axle load next fall.

3. snowy

snowy Junior Member
    from nj

bid?

Any idea what i should charge to the job?

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Put a picture are there many obstacles islands etc
    2 inch trigger
    1 inch
    What equipment are you using not that it matters but hiw long do you think it will take
    What type of building what are there hours
    I do several small societies offices and charge $$$ because they have heavy traffic of injured customers

5. snowy

snowy Junior Member
    from nj

Don't have a pic. Lot is basically a one big square, no obstacles. Sidewalks are standard as well. Will be using a snow blower. I know doesn't matter to customer. Guess time really matters on the depth. Hours are 8am-8pm and need clear for all those hours. Therefore ,i may need to do repeated cleaning on a day if snow is coming down. i appreciate your opinion and what is good price. I have one in mind, but don't want to influence your set. Thanks again!

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Again what's your guess in time
    Just you or a helper
    I have a few places with bars that close at 4 and bagel shop where workers get there at 5 so I have a 1 hour window to get all spots done
    8-8 is relaxing

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

And yes my area get similar snow as you usually 8 plows and 4/6 salting events

8. snowy

snowy Junior Member
    from nj

bid?

im guessing just me. 3 hours you think? or maybe 2 if i use a helper to shovel some and salt. But I want to know price range because Im pretty sure there is one other person bidding? Also, do I ask for any money upfront if I agree to do pay per plow but agree to do for season? Because I would have to buy a pallet of salt bags just for this property. Thanks a lot again!

9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Depends on your contract
    You can ask for $
    I know I spend at least $10k on prepping my equipment yearly plus salt and calcium I mainly have seasonals and a few per pushes
    Depends how bad you want the contract for your prices
    What do you want or need to make an hour
    I wouldn't have a helper fir just one spot
    My prices are $125 for salt a bit high but you are one responsible for slip and falls
    Plowing 1-3 inches $175
    3-6 inches $300
    6-9 $450
    9-12 $600
    Over 12 $600 plus $75-$100 an inch call it a blizzard clause

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Again I'm much better in person or min seeing a picture I'm basing on your guesstimate of time and material also I buy bulk salt and guessing a bag if salt is $5-$8 a bag
    Sorry can't be more help

11. snowy

snowy Junior Member
    from nj

Ponyboy, You've been a great help so far...just 2 more quick questions.....thats 125 on top of the plowing charges...correct? so 3-6 inches is total 425? Also, do you raise salting prices for higher downfall, cause maybe you plow and salt and then com back again a few hours later and do another salting? Lastly, how about a seasonal quote? Based on only 8 plows you think? I think last year was like 20..no? I know last yr was double the accumulation though? Thanks!!

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Salt is every time you apply salt for me is a set price but some storms I will salt 2 or 3 times so they get billed 2 or 3 times
    My seasonals al have caps I give them 10 storms included I would do like 1 higher amount a few lower amounts and few in middle then divide by 8 so they are getting 2 storms for free after 10 storms they get a discounted rate slightly
    People will disagree but even though it is seasonal their needs to be a limit so you don't lose money seasonal they can budget their money

13. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you offer a rebate for years with only 6 events?

14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

No
    If you don't crash your car does your insurance give you your money back
    And if you crash too many times they raise you or drop you
    I'm selling the fact that sniw won't effect them being open