1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid help for buss. w/difficult dock area w/a grade to it

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snowpoe, Oct 24, 2006.

1. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

They want a bid that covers all winter & not per push, which is what I'm use to.I will give them a per push or annual option & let them decide.
    The area with the dock is on a grade & there is also a fence to add difficulty as to were to push the snow.That area is 8000 sq.ft. & will need heavier salting & the area from the dock to the road is 11500 sq.ft.which will also need salt
    There is also an area on the other side of the building that is an easy push and it is 4500sq.ft. & will get no salt.
    Trigger 2"
    Salting when ever slick

Equipment is a 7 1/2 western w/wings & a broadcast spreader:eek: I may get a tail gate spreader;) I will be getting salt by the bag cost is about $1 per 10lbs.

Any help on a per push $price or guesstimated time to do & how much salt for the areas that need it.
    Annual cost which is scary

I'm guessing 1 hr+ @ $130+ & 300lbs. salt @ $_______

Any help on the amount of time to do it 2"-4".How to charge for salt or come up with a annual fee would be helpful Thanks in advance for any input good or bad

100_2045 (Medium).JPG

100_2044 (Medium).JPG

100_2046 (Medium).JPG

100_2049 (Medium) (2).JPG
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Time wise id say your pretty much right on. That dock is gonna be a b*tch. Backblading that out with that grade with more than 6" might not be fun. Also with the way those sides wing out like that, i can already see backing up too far and hanging ten over the edge or while doing a straigh push past it, mis-judging where the edges are and slamming the plow into it. Those storm grates could be a nice 4am wake up BANG!
    Honestly im not even gonna shoot out a price i would want because it could way off from your market. Only thing im thinking is your $130 is too low.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That plow looks pretty easy to me. I would agree with 1 hour. I would take all I could find at $130, but that is around here so you need to find your price. If you are talking heavy salting then 300lbs is not enough and even if I had to buy the cheapest tailgate salter I would find one somewhere. My broadcast spreader holds 125lbs and it is a large one. You are going to fill it 4 times atleast. I did that last year when they called for a small playground to be done and believe me it sucks.
  4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Timing is pretty close IMO. But at 130 per hour, are YOU making what YOU need to? Will it cover expenses and create profit? If so, go for it. If not, raise your price. Good luck and hope you get it. I think I would be a little higher on that , but that is in Michigan, not Ohio. Best of luck to ya.
  5. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

This is what I may go with.

The average snowfall here is 47" Im going with 17 events which really seems high after last years winter.

Let me know what you think of these #s How many events do Akron plowers go with in the Ellet ,Tallmage ,Mogadore areas

1hr+ to plow $145
    300-400lbs salting$75 = $220 per visit x 17 = $3740 annual cost. I will let them decide.

The annual cost seems high to me(because of uneventful winter last season)I will see what happens.

Any one no were to get a perposal sheet
  6. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Ya know....not to be rude but Im so tired of hearing you guys wanting to have it both ways.

You sit here and moan about Lowballers then turn around and tell the guy to charge whatever the heck he wants as long as he makes a profit.

Maybe his expenses are next to nothing and he can do it for 10 dollars and "make a profit"

Maybe he doesn't have a wife and kids, maybe you do. Is he supposed to figure that in too?

Comon....lets get this deal standardized a bit more than that,and if it only costs hin 20 dollars to do a 130 dollar job and he can make 110 profit, vs the guy with the 50,000 dollar rig and a wife with too many credit cards that can only make 20 on the job because it takes him 110 to do it.
  7. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

I got new #s am I getting greedy or is this getting close to what it should be?

No I dont have a wife:salute: & my child support payment is low:rolleyes: ,But when I was married she payed half the bills & carried the health ins.which is now killing me now
    Maybe being married wasnt so bad afterall:nono: Did I just say all that:sleeping:

Back to buss. Please give me some input Here are the new #s Am I getting closer to going rate or am I wanting to drive newer equip. to soon

47" average snowfall 1 hr+ to plow @ $150 a push x 17? events = $2550
    20000 sq.ft.to salt 300-400lbs? @ $75 x 25 events = $1875

Total for the season$4425 Is this close or should it be another $1000
    It will only be a 1yr. contract

Im a solo operator & have been plowing since 92 but mostly res & some comm by the push & no salting. This is a bigger bid that does not want a per push & there will be salting so thats why Im on here to see what others would charge

Let me have it good & bad anything
  8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I for one would not include the salting in as part of the seasonal $. If you do they will be calling every time there is even so much as a snowflake still left in the lot expecting you to show up an nuke it away. I think the fairest thing for both parties is to do the salt app. on a per app. basis and do the plow on the seasonal. "When ever slick" could be the death of you!!!
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

And your solution is??? Please explain your method of standardization further. Shall we standardize plowing rates? I believe that would be called collusion or price fixing. Estimating can't even be standardized because everybody's production rates are different. I'm not even sure what the point of your reply is, you are basically restating that everybody's price would be different because everybody's costs are different, which is the same thing jcesar is stating. All he did was tell him that he would probably be higher priced IN MICHIGAN, but to use his own pricing for Ohio.

At least jcesar answered the question--how much time he would estimate. This is what everybody needs to ask, not how much to charge because of the huge variations in pricing around the country.
  10. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

when you have to do loading docks...the best investment can be a snowman backdrag plow...i know it cut our time down make doing docks 4000000000 times easier
  11. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

The way I see it, you can't plan on getting rich. If that is your goal, you are in the wrong business. As far as moaning, you didn't here that from me. Except for extreme situations. If you got a 50k rig, wife kids, and many credit cards, and gotta make all those payments off snowplowing, maybe you should get a job! Try livng within your means, not above them. If you are making what you need to make off a lot, who cares if you are lower. That is called competition. See Webster's Dictionary for further definition.
  12. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but sometimes people got to hear it how it is.
    Anyways, In my opinion, I would not do the salt with the seasonal price. It was already stated, and i agree, that if you do this, they will want salt everytime the weatherman says snow. Do that on a per app basis. Your prices are going to vary by market, so i cant say what you need to charge. But I would think you are in the neighborhood, with what you have down.
    Good luck
  13. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I agree with that too, you are in the ball park with the pricing (again the variation from place to place can't be accounted for) I also agree that you should steer far, far away from including the salting. Make it as needed and make it at their request. They will probably try to insist that it be included but that is where your salesmanship comes in. Convince them that it is in their best interest to call the shots for salt.

I had a contract for a couple of years that looked very much like that, (except the fence) and it was a great job. The loading dock is almost identical to the one you show. It was a piece of cake, and I did it with a straight blade with no backdragging edge. The tricky part with mine was a sharp drop off to the left of the dock doors but not a problem.

Go for it and have fun.