1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid for large property

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by FredG, Sep 27, 2015.

1. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Hello, I been invited to plow a rather large factory Zotos International. I never plowed and sanded something this large on my own. I have done much bigger under other contractors.

They want this bid,
    Seasonal Snow removal contract with salt
    Seasonal snow removal with salt on a per trip basis with approximate tonnage expected to be used each trip.

I personally like per trip. I am in Upstate New York in the Finger Lakes region on Seneca Lake. The Guys I no that had seasonal contracts made about 25 trips. I per trip made about 18 trips.

I have no idea how to safely bid this property and don't know how to figure the salt tonnage. Any wisdom or knowledge would be helpful. I would be willing to pay for someones services.

Thank You

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

For bidding purposes, I figure that I'll use roughly 800lbs per acre. I've noticed that I typically won't need that much but just to be safe that's my number.

To safely give a seasonal bid you need to know your numbers and trust in them. How many events, what's your production time, what are your costs? If you don't know those things you'll be bidding blindly.

3. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

And have all chainlift plows also...

I agree with Mr. Camden(cant believe I said that)...You need to figure out how mulch it's gonna cost you to do the job and go from there

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

salt

Thanks Kamden,
    This is a big help figuring the salt

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

What's the size of the lot (findlotsize.com), or post the address here. What equipment will you be using? How many pieces of equipment on the lot at any given time? Keeping your equipment there and storing your salt there?

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Did you hit your head on a keg?

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Bidding

Zoto's international
    300 Forge Ave
    Geneva, NY

I was thinking Dresser 530 14 FT pusher
    Geil 5635 8FT snow pusher
    Ford F350 9FT Fisher
    GMC 2500 HD 9FT fisher
    Dodge 250 Power wagon 2yd hyd. spreader

Salt I can store at my construction lay down yard. Less half mile from Zoto's
    Back up.
    I have a large tail gate spreader
    Hough H 65 12 ft snow pusher
    Terex 7251 12ft snow pusher
    Ford F250 8 ft V boss
    Chevy 3500 8 ft Meyers
    Reo Airport snow blower if needed.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't be putting up the name and address of the property I'm bidding for everyone to see.

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

bidding

Dave,
    Are you meaning posting the name is illegal, Or so nobody else can bid? You had to be at the walk around to bid and I know all of the 3 contractors that were present.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No it's not illegal. If you had to be at the walk around I guess your fine. Good luck.

11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think the equipment you have listed is overkill unless you want to be done in 1/2 hour. The large employee parking lot is 2.5 acres, the small employee lot is 1/2 acre, the large truck dock is 3/4 acre, other then the 2 small truck docks up front its all road way and small areas out back. I would think 1 10 or 12 ft box with either a large 2 speed skid or small loader and 1 pickup with plow and salter. For salt I think Camden has the right idea for bidding but I bet you wouldn't use 2 to 3 ton on an average event. No sidewalks to be done?

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

bidding

Yes no sidewalks, I think your right about over kill on the equipment. I have no small loaders, I think the dresser 530 and my skid steer for loading docks and 1 pickup with spreader.

Thanks Danny

13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I'm too lazy to look up the site. But if it's a tad bigger than four acres I'd set a boss 9.2 on a 1 ton and leave it there till its done. Put a 2 yd vee box in the back and you are good to go

14. LapeerLandscape

The larger parking lot is 900ft long by 125ft wide and it looks like all the snow has to go to the ends.

15. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

bidding

Last season they put snow on both ends of parking lot.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Would $ 950.00 be a good price? Or am I low or high. Meaning per trip

17. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

That's for you to decide not us

18. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Bidding

Yes I know I will have to make the final decision, I was just looking for some help. I have never bid something this big. Pretty much from the above posts I know what I'm going in for. Just wondering from opinions if anybody thinks I'm low or high or right on the money.

I don't want to low ball but don't want to be high.
    Thanks Danny

19. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Does it cover your expenses
    And do you make the money you want to make on it?

20. LapeerLandscape

I think that's pretty high but your in a totally different market then me. Do you do any small commercial lots? If so break it down into sections as to how much you would charge for the small parking lot and the large truck docks then the 2 small truck docks, they are no bigger then an extra wide residential drive. The roadways should be pretty easy, your just going to make a couple passes windrowing to the side and a little clean up around back.