1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bid Feedback?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowHill11, Oct 2, 2015.

1. SnowHill11

SnowHill11 Senior Member

Hi guys,
    Submitted a bid for this season for a local grocery store with a seasonal price and was told I was the highest bidder by a substantial margin. This is the largest property I have bid so far so I thought I would get a little feedback on my pricing. I don't try to be the cheapest by any means but I know I need to be competitive to stay in business. Here are the details.
    Seasonal, all inclusive with a 2" trigger, salt after every plowing. Sidewalks shoveled and salted with every visit.
    76,000 sq. ft of pavement
    1,300 sq. ft of sidewalks/steps
    Our area averages about 65" of snow and about 25 pushes with a 2" trigger. I'm getting bulk salt for about $75 a ton and expected to apply 1500 lbs/visit.
    I planned to plow it with a Dodge 3500 dually with a Fisher XLS and a v-box salter in back.
    I bid it at $15,000 for the season, what do you guys think it went for? $12,000?
    What would you have bid?

ALDI Snow Cropped.jpg

2. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

15 for the season seems low for me. But I am in a different region as well.

3. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Your friends with Oomkes...How mulch lower can you go??

Btw...The Bid looks high for around here

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Probably went for around 8k...........

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you knew your numbers which is good. So you were expecting roughly $600 per service which I do think is on the high end but not outrageous.

You win some you lose some.

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

1500 lbs of salt for that parking lot seems to be a bit much, from just that picture. Do you have the lot measurements?

7. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

We bid a very similar size lot with slightly less sidewalk work at $9900.00. We didn't get the work either. But like alot of guys say, I don't want to work for free.

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Rough guess, around $12k all inclusive.

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I'd be in the $9500 range and make great $$$. But based on the clientele going though there I'd be concerned about a law suit with 2" triggers. My number was based on using 3/4 of s ton of salt. You may need double that to get bare pavement because u will have lots of hard pack from all the 1" snows getting driven over

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If it were here, using 25 plowing and 40 salting events per season, I would be ~$8500 for the season depending on how badly I wanted it and/or if it were close to another lot. Roughly $2500 in profit after all expenses figured in.

We average $75 per hour for trucks and $.10 per pound on salt. Everyone's prices are going to vary widely from what it actually went for. Overhead is different, hourly rates are different, etc. Based on what you say you average snowfall, I'm going to say it went under 10K almost positive.

11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I would probably be down around most everyone else. You may have based your price off of the square footage number alone. Its a semi decent size lot but if you look at how easily it can plowed, no islands, no long pushes and you can put the snow anywhere. Between that and the salt estimate being high.

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You'd be content with only $2500 profit on an account of that size? I just couldn't bring myself to do it for that.

13. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

IDK what it went for but I think your price in ballpark, maybe 1-2gs high, they prob found a lowballer or compares your apples to their oranges.

14. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

your pricing is right up there, I would bet someone got that for around $10,000.
    One guy plowing it himself, hiring two guys to do sidewalks at $10 or $15 a clip.
    He is paying out around $5,000 in product and labor and making $5,000 himself.
    If your on good terms with the store manager ask him what the winning bid was.

15. SnowHill11

SnowHill11 Senior Member

I know my salt number was a touch high, my figures said I would need 1200-1300 lbs so I rounded up a little given the type of location it was. I was basing it mostly on sq. footage coming up with my numbers. I estimate it would take about 3 1/2 hours, are you guys thinking it would be closer to 2 3/4 hours? I was at $355 per plowing, $185 per salting, and $50 for shoveling. Sounds like I need to be closer to $275 per plowing, $175 per salting and $30 per shoveling, to bring me in at about $12,500 for the season? I definitely understand this is a relatively straight forward lot, but am still getting actual production times for different plows, this will be my first year with the XLS, up until now I've run 8' straight blades and an 8.5 V-plow. Thanks for all the input guys.

16. LapeerLandscape

I am sure that lot can be done in less then 2 hrs, especially with an xls. I would look at plowing it 2 different ways, 1 in a circular (clockwise) motion using the road and windrowing the snow to the outside. The other would be a horseshoe motion around the building back and forth plow on the ground both ways. The more the plow is on the ground and the less backing up you do the more time you save.

17. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

If I had a Powersmoke with a Blizzard and an Ebling with a wing plow on the side...I would have that done in 11 minutes...

18. LapeerLandscape

I was going to mention the ebling but don't to let out someones trade secret. It could probably be done in less then an hour with that though.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I have several 2-2.5 acres lots with the similar amount of walks. With a 8.2V with wings I can clear the lot in about 35min <4" with no cars and my shovel guy is taking care of the walks. Toss in butthats parked in the lot and it's an hour.

A rig like that is only available to those from a snow removal monarchy.

20. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

1.5 empty lot, 2 if not