1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BF Goodrich Mud Terrains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gcsupraman, Jan 11, 2005.

1. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Just wanted to remind everybody how much BF goodrich Mud Terrains really suck in the ice/snow

Don't ever buy them!

-Greg

2. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I was just thinking of buying new tires for my 96 f250 and was doing some research on which tires are the best for all around use. What do you guys use on your trucks?

3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Alot of guys around here are using BFG AT's. I have also heard the mud terrains suck. :cool:

4. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Exactly what he said.

I have a 1989 Chevy 3500 with 235/85/16 BF Mud Terrains (were on it when I bought it) and it is horendous in any icy snow. I mean horrible. Very dangererous. It's fine in pure powder but that's it. I hit a metal street sign earlier going about 5mph because the truck just kept plowing straight although the wheels were turned. Almost hit a telephone poll about 5 minutes later.

I also have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with the same size 235/85/16 BF All-Terrains. Those tires are awesome. I am very happy with them and think they make an excellent year round tire.

-Greg

5. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

All terrains for snow and ice, mud terrains for dirt and mud.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

snow/ice Cooper Discoverer M&S 235/85/16. nothing else can compare. as for summer tire bfg muds are fine. but this year i am going to try the wrangler mt/r

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

never had a problem i had em on my jeep

8. Knothead

Knothead Junior Member

Cooper Discoverer M&S there is no other plow tire in my book

9. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

I run BFG AT's, and I think they work awesome. Much better than the Michelin LTX AT's and Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, and SR/A's that are/were on my SUV's. I dont think you would go wrong with a set of BFG AT's.

Kevin

10. Country Manor

Country Manor Junior Member

I'm running BFG AT's 285/75/16 on my '03 2500HD and love 'em!! Friend of mine owns a tire store and said alot of guys are running Cooper mud terrains. They're predrilled for studs so I guess they're made for snow. He says its the best plow tire you can get. :gunsfiring: ALL WEATHERMAN

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I just threw a freebie used pair of BFG A/T's on the rear of my S15, what an absolute night-and-day difference! Mind you, the truck only had 'Hercules' specials on it before, but thats not the point.

My only complaint with them is that the noise is intolerably loud on them! I think that is typical of an A/T tire, but I don't think this is normal level, it's really bad! (Remember I said they were used, worn a little funny so that may be why)

I'd still like to know how those Green Diamond retreads work out--doesn't anyone on here have them?

http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/diamond.html

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've had good luck with Cooper Discoverer AT's. The Discoverer M&S are studable. Plus they must have a soft compound which means they will wear out quicker. I guess if you've got the money and the weather...

13. moel

moel Junior Member

i recently put on Cooper Discoverer ST- they are working great(the new STT look even beefier)

14. skidsteerloader

skidsteerloader Junior Member

I have Bridgestone Dueller AT REVOs on my dually, they work real well for me, they are pretty quiet for an AT tire, but also pretty expensive BFG ATs are good also, BFG MTs SUCK on hard packed or icy conditions, guess because they dont have any sipes on them?

15. Jone43

Jone43 Member

Recently put Bridgestone Dueler Revo 285/75/R16 on my 2500 HD and love them. There quiet and great in the snow and rain.

16. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Yes, it was because of how they were worn. Uneven wear on pretty much any tire will make for more road noise. It is especially noticablke on the AT's due to the tread pattern. Gotta X rotate them at least once a year. :cool:

17. derekbroerse

I could swear when I looked along from the side that the leading edge of the tread blocks were higher than the trailing edge....

Used to be with radial tires, you weren't supposed to swap them side for side.... then they said it was ok to do that... now are you telling me I am supposed to do it?

18. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

I guess a whole new topic could be started for rotation, but I am personally opposed to cross rotation. I know alot of tire manufacture's and dealers recommend it, and do it. But I have had a couple instances where it has caused a failure in the tire, by getting a bulge in the belt, or a blow out in the tire. Since it happened to me more than once, I only rotate front to back. Since going back to that method, I have had no more failures. Tried & True works.

Kevin

19. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

i had cooper A/T's on my Tahoe and they were awesome. Didn't use 4wd very often and they wore exellent. I bought them from my friends mom who owns a tire shop and they told me they were 40,000 mile tires, I put 62,000 on those tires and still had some tread on them when I sold the Tahoe. Great tires! I have BFG A/T's on my plow truck and I really like them too. They are quiet and I havn't had any trouble with traction even with all this ice we've been getting.

20. derekbroerse

We've had the same problems, but the tire guys always said that was only with old tires, newer ones don't do this.....

I dunno...