1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beware snow hogg nightmare

Discussion in 'Snow Hogg Back Blades' started by pch1, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pch1

pch1 Junior Member

We have just purchased a New Snow Hogg Switchblade Expandable Plow. It has failed to work each time we have tried to use it. First time, after 10 minutes of use we had an electrical problem that would not let the hydraulic pump work ( its not a very effective plow when its stuck in the up position and the wings are stuck in the out position ) Second time, when wings are extended out they bow backwards do to poor design or sloppy fabrication or probably both. Third time, wing cylinders would not retract due to another hydraulic problem, makes it difficult to Transport. Advanced Seasonal Innovations is very slow to respond. We are trying to return the Snow Hogg Switchblade for a full refund, but they are refusing ( We just can not afford the down time ) The shop guy Brian has a laundry list of what’s wrong with the Snow Hogg, too small of electric wire, too small of guide rail system, too much slack between main blade and the expandable wings. The owner Dave, of course says that the Snow Hogg was misused and that’s the problem. The Snow Hogg looks good on the show room floor, but does not perform in the field. I don’t know about you guys but when it snows we have to get are jobs plowed then, not 2 days later. I’m sorry but I can not afford to be broke down or be the guinea pig for there new product. After 3 problematic attempts too use the Snow Hogg (in one week) we have returned the product to there shop an hour and a half away.
  2. pch1

pch1 Junior Member

Beware - snow hogg - nightmare

ASI posted in prior statement on this site that "The pressure relief is built into the hydraulics, if the blade gets caught the relief senses the pressure which allows the hydraulics to by pass on the lift side. The down pressure is adjustable will lift the rear tires off the ground if you needed it." This is a quote from ASI on this site. So I don't understand how I had to much down pressure to bend the lifting tree. I don't need it to lift the tires off the ground, I need it to plow snow and function properly for more than 10 minutes at a time. It's the rail system that is not heavy enough that bends from the weight of the snow. I'm sorry guys but you should of taken care of the problem. If you would like to see my pictures, feel free to contact me.

(268) 207-3747
  3. Adv Seasonal

Adv Seasonal Member

The photos of the blade will be proof of operator abuse. We will post shortly.
  4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Since this is public now why not just post the pics on here for all to see??
  5. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

so your saying when i bought my new western and happened to hit a curb and it broke 2 springs and chipped the cutting edge the second time out i should have flipped and called it junk? It was alittle abuse on my part from not paying attention had nothing to do with western just not paying attention, sounds like thats what you did so stop putting these threads everywhere
    I've looked at the pull behing plows they look pretty stout so wish i could afford one, so ADV SEASONAL you ever need a real world tester let me know:D
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I can't wait to see these pictures.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

9. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Im interested in seeing pics also, i tried searching online for it but only found atv stuff....
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. Adv Seasonal

Adv Seasonal Member

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Click post responce

Then in the top row of the toolbar you will see a paperclip. Click the paperclip as that is how you attach pictures to your post.
  12. Adv Seasonal

Adv Seasonal Member

The switches on the side are sealed micro's. I am waiting for our IT guy to come in and reduce the photos down in size so we can post the pics.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  13. Adv Seasonal

Adv Seasonal Member

What we try and do is take a 'real world' aproach to design. We have had dozens of contractors put their 'two cents' in and frankly, its been great. They have saved us a ton on R&D. Keep the ideas coming. Our blade truely is a group effort.
  14. Adv Seasonal

Adv Seasonal Member

Customer Complaint Plow

Here are some pictures of the customer complaint plow

15. Adv Seasonal

Adv Seasonal Member

More picture

Here are two more pictures - one of the customer complaint plow, and the other one is from another customer's plow after repeated use.

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It's hard to tell what's really going on here with those pics. This is all after one plowing session? The one that baffles me is the center stack being bent from too much down pressure, how is that possible. I wish I could see the plow when they brought it in fully assembled and damaged.
  17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The 1rst pic.....whats repeated use? 2 times out for an hour?....the main cutting edge isnt even worn? I am also curious as to how the cutting edges are fastened to the plow, bolts and welds? Not much give in welds.

2nd pic.....sh*t happens, also with a new product eye's will be on you to be behind your product. I am not taking sides here...cause for all i know, the customer could be completely wrong, and beat the crap out of the plow with no caution used. My suggestion to the dealer would be to repair the plow at no charge to the customer and if the same kind of abuse continues, you know its operator error...and you have at least made a valiant effort in standing behind your product. You have shown that already with some of the issues, but they were CLEARLY product failures, that (IMO) sound like if they were field tested properly, would have been adressed before going on the market.

Either way its a tuff call.....sitting behind a computer screen giving opinions is easy. being there face to face with the customer and the product that failed is another. From what it seems so far, its a combination of both parties at fault. Good Luck
  18. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I agree with snocrete, Other than rubbing the curb with the wing, it looks like product design and set up to me. Wing edge wear is from the pins being set to low on the mount, but also will happen when you leave the approach of a driveway. the bent wing tube is design IMO. When it is extended out, how much torque i put on the 2" tube from wing tip to pivot point 3 feet away. There is a reason Mark made his comments. This design has been tried, and patented by the way by Geerlings.
  19. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I have looked at the pics of the damaged plow as well as looked at the manufacture site to see how the blades mount and what not.

As for the bent tree. They system should be designed as to not allow enough down pressure to damage the plow. I see that one on the manufacture.

I can see how the wings could get bent and yes they must have hit something. We all hit things. The equipment needs to be able to take some abuse. I think the wings could have been designed better. 50% customer 50% manufacture.

I can see how the edge wear was cased by running at the wrong angle. 100% customer.

A good compromise would be to repair the unit and return it to the customer.
  20. Adv Seasonal

Adv Seasonal Member

Guys I thought I would intervene.

We told this customer that we would do any repair and powder coat for free to help him through the issue.

As far as I am concerned the matter is finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.