1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beware of the wireless controller

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by wkroncke17, Jan 10, 2009.

1. wkroncke17

wkroncke17 Junior Member

My wireless remote just plain sucks....Its as simple as that. When you spend 5 grand, you think they would have done a little more homework and had the bugs worked out before putting this on the market.
    The plow itself (so far) is good, but when I'm waving this dam remote around trying to get a signal, I don't have anything good to say about Sno-Way.
    I'm going to switch to the wired remote. I've had enough of this frustration.

2. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Mine has worked perfectly since day one...have you gone to your installer with the issue, or was this a self-install? As far as I'm concerned after 2 years with the wireless, I would recommend it to anyone based on the performance of mine.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you been back to the dealer? Have you called the factory? I sell the wireless 4-1 over the wired and have had zero complaints. We are very good about warranty upgrades and they have had a recall on some of these units so perhaps your's is one of those. Or you could get your dealer to swap you out for wireless. I'm sure he would do something.

4. motorbreath

motorbreath Junior Member

Hopefully your dealer is better than mine was. When I went in with the same problem he said I was 4 days out of warranty and there was nothing he could do for me. After arguing for about 15 minutes I got him to let me take one off the shelf to make sure it was indeed the controler that was the problem. It was, with the new controler the plow worked flawlessly. I ended up going with the wired joystick, love it, though I got it from another dealer. Rant over.:dizzy:

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Motorbreath, there is no time limit if it was a recalled unit. Call the factory and check. if nothing else you'll have a back up.

6. motorbreath

motorbreath Junior Member

Yeah, I was just sitting here thinking about it and I don't think I ever contacted snoway. And for the record I have no beef with snoway, I love my plow and just figured I might have been too rough on the controler.:eek:

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We've had a few serial number groups recalled. If your's is around 2 years old it could be one of them though your dealer should have been notified and sent a replacement unit to swap it out. Also check to see if the battery box has broken and lost contact.

8. wkroncke17

wkroncke17 Junior Member

I did clear the program, and re-program it. Went to my dealer, he said he's had a few other complaints. The only thing he mentioned he could do is change it to the wired. I really didnt want them to drill a hole in the firewall.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you call the factory and check your serial number???

10. wkroncke17

wkroncke17 Junior Member

No I didnt, I will. The # on the website?

11. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

As Basher said have the serial # checked through the factory. If it is within the recall it will be replaced for you.

If you do ultimately end up going with a wired control, there could be a hole in the firewall large enough to route our harness already. Our harness since only being a 3 wire system is about as thick as a pencil.

12. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

There are plenty of places in a fire wall to run the wire without drilling any holes.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

262 673-7200 ex 314 for tech.

I ran a wireless joystick all season last year in a 2005 Dodge with a Sirius receiver. It should not be an issue.

There are ways to route the control wire with-out drilling holes it's not really hard on the Dodge. I have spreader harnesses (salt dogg, Subway receiver mount,) two different plow harnesses, heated windshield wiper harness, Satellite antenna and few others running though the firewall on the dodge with out drilling a hole;) If you do decide to drill the firewall the hole for the Snoway control wire has a rubber gasket that seals it and as Tom said is not much larger then a pencil (I could compare it to other things but we'll leave that be:rolleyes:)

14. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

This is an isolated problem with your unit! I have been using WR on 2 snoway plows for 7 years with zero problems!

15. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

If your at a red light and the guy next to you has the same blade , could your remote activate his? :p
    Or it's like garage door openers?

16. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

I love it and hate it all at the same time. I just bought a ton of rechargeable batteries for it tho, i start off with a fresh pair every other day.......but..it does give me a hassle, at this point, ive taken my radio out of my truck, (i just use my IPOD), i have no garage controller in my truck, anything that could possibly be "blocking" the signal has been removed...... I did the whole "reprogramming" deal, then i had my friend use his controller, programmed his remote with my receiver worked well, I made sure the antenna was were it needed to be..blah blah blah....

How can i get the serial number off mine? The back is worn down, and ive constantly have to reset it b/c it seems as tho it just "losses" connection with the receiver up front. (all wires are fine, already replaced that crappy loom that eats the wires out, i have even gone as far as putting a foam weather stripping around the stack the receiver goes into.. to keep it from vibrating....)..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  17. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

would the mt have the same problem? my wireless started doing the same, I changed the batts it seemed a little better. but not like it was before. is the serial # on the back of the remote? Because if it is there is no serial # on the back. I bought the plow used and it was brand new from when he had it on his 06 f 150.

18. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I've had no issue with my Wireless Remote. Matter of fact, I upgraded from an ST to an MT and swapped the Wireless Remote for the Wired Remote. I also have a ton of electronics on my truck. Strobes, GPS, AM/FM/XM, iPod Controller, MTX Thunderform Stealth Sub, Amp, Salter and Controls for it, Light Bar, Radar Detector, Garage Remote, HIDs,...

I mean, I've got no issues. Only thing I did hear is once is that the Wireless Remote runs on the same frequency Phones and WiFi work on. So if your in an area with alot of WAPs or strong WiFi, you might have issues (ie Hotels, Office Buildings, Cities with City Wide WiFi, Universities, Apt Buildings, etc.) That simply has to do with WAPs and wirless phones not having good frequency isolation.

19. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

Well if it is the wireless internet that can create alot of problems, that are not going to go away. more and more people are going to it and the more I think about it the closer to the house the more issues i do have.

20. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

There was a member her'e at plowsite that was plowing some hells angels club houses. These buildings had some kind of signal going out so the cops/feds could not use high tech. recording equipment. He claimed that as soon as he drove onto the property, the remote was useless?