1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beware of shortcuts!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tuney443, Dec 6, 2009.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Just want to mention something here so nobody else has to go through this agony.I was wiring up my new 1500 Salt Dogg Sat. and because of a 4' fall on my back on blacktop from my backhoe on Fri.,I was in excruciating pain pulling my harness from the salter to the engine compartment and into the cab.I had no strenghth left to install wire ties but I was very confident the harness would be OK for a couple of days because of at least 4 spots where it was a tight fit.WRONG.Somehow,the harness got pulled,I must have been dragging it and now unless the 2 plugs are still miraculously still under the truck,I'll be needing a new harness.I doubt that Buyers makes just the 2 plugs at the auger and spinner.It really sucks to say the least--just got it's first load of Magic,luckily,the storm predicted was a dud and I didn't have to salt.
  2. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

DOH!!!!!! been there, done that... cut corners to have them turn & bite me on the a$$. I followed some idiot yesterday who had 2 snowmobiles wedged on a too small trailer, backwards with no tie downs. One had the windshield gone & the other was edging towards the rear of the trailer. I followed him for a while thinking if the snowmobile didn't land too horribly wrong, I may be the new owner of a slightly dinged up snowmobile... no luck ... Back to your problem, You may be able to find a harness on ebay. or find the same style rig & copy the harness. good luck
  3. tinffx

tinffx Member

They harness on a buyers is a piece of cake. If you lost your plugs make some new ones. If you need a new harness buy 25 feet of heavy gauge wire from a car audio store (the same stuff you would use for a 1000 watt amp in your trunk) a few big blade connectors for the plugs & you are good to go. I could remake my wiring harness for probably $20 and it would work like new. maybe even better. Those rubber plugs are a pain in the neck when it is cold. I would rather have two large blades than those round things. Plus, with my truck I have to use the stupid extension cord which means the plug that is attached to the truck (which is also a ground) is way back under there. Still, shortcuts rarely hold up when you need them to. Good luck with it. Hope the back is better
  4. tinffx

tinffx Member

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Well,the bad news is I've got a fractured #7 rib,the good news is both plugs were still there.I had to splice in app.12' on each of the 6 wires with 10 gauge wire.I had a buddy this time run the redone harness through as I still can't exert myself yet and he used plenty of ties.Salter works good--just have to get used to it.
  6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I was on my way deer hunting and this guy in front of me had a brandnew 4 wheeler on a tiny trailer and it literally rolled off the trailer at 70 miles an hour and coasted off to the shoulder of the road and stopped.
    I pulled over and the guy pulled over and the 4 wheeler was just behind him on the shoulder undamaged.
    I imagine it was in neutral and had some ****** strap or bungee that gave way but if it was me it would have flipped and blown up a bus of nuns. I would not believe it if I was not there. sorry snow mobile story reminded me. I had my brand new truck so I was not following close but it could have been someones hood
  7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Been there, Done that. I was following a guy with a ladder on his roof. I thought what I would do if it fell off and was able to practice what I thought.