1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Betterment charges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman5313, Jan 30, 2010.

1. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

Does anyone put in betterment charges when fixing a fence that you helped screw up??? My guys pushed some snow against a chain link fence. The fence pulled down about a 1.5' feet at the max, about 50' long. The owner of the fence is NOT the property i plow. He wants it fixed at my cost. At first I said sure. He got the bid of $2200. My question is:

Do i pay for the 100' he wants replaced. That includes new poles that we did not bend and 50' extra feet that is damaged from previous contractors plowings.

Remember THE GUY IS BEING A HUGH DICK ABOUT IT.

2. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Get three quotes from other contractors on repairing what you damaged, then subtract 25% from the lowest one because the GUY is A HUGE *&#%. Tell him to take a hike
    No way would I pay for something that I am not responsible for. I had a similiar case where a driver put a dent in the bottom of a drive-threw window. Manager replaced the entire window with an automatic unit at a cost of $2400.00. My quote to replace the bent peice of stainless was $300. Went to court over it and the judge tossed it telling the manager that he shouldn"t try to $^&* someone over. :laughing: lets see 2 hours in court at $1200 per. payup

3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I wouldn't pay for anything I didn't tear up.

4. sassygrasssnow

sassygrasssnow Member

If the fence is fixeable then i would only fixed what our guys messed up nothing elese.

5. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

Story gets even more funny. So I told him i'd get it taken care of in this week. I took out the old fence, blended in the new one and about to wire it up and he came along and told me to leave. I should have called him. I asked why? He knew I was going to fix it. Sure it was a saturday but the week has been cold the guys helping me had better things to do. I had about 1 hour worth of work left and he told me to leave or he was calling the cops. I guess he had a hard on about me not jumping high enough. Good times.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Hope you took pictures and did your due diligence, sounds like you wanted to do the right thing. Some people just get it in their head that your mistake should make them money. People like that make usually are never satisfied.Hope you sort it out and move on

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Fix what YOU screwed up and tell him to pound sand about the rest. Like already said take pics. Legally you are only responsible for what you wrecked.

8. hitachiman 200

Sounds to me like you've done your do diligence, Guy's probably upset cause he thought he was getting more than he should. The law will be on your side now because you tried to repair what you broke. Like Nichols said take plenty of pic's and document everything.:drinkup:

9. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

I learnd my lesson on that from a few years ago. I did take many pics. just pisses me off that I had almost finished. Now I am looking forward to next week and seeing what kind of bill is going to come from this. Since I am a sub contractor for the property and like the contractor I don't want to see this become a big deal and make me look bad.

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We take pre-season pics of any site we service, if there was any previous damage, it's documented in a digital file with date stamp, it's all about CYA. Fix what you broke and no more.

11. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

You fix what you broke only. If you bumped a car and it needed a new back bumper, would you pay to have a new front bumper put on because they rear ended someone six months ago? Tell him to take a hike if he don't like it.

12. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I try to make customers happy, knowing that a happy client is worth more than the value of the damage, usually. There are instances, however, where the intent is to make things better than before damage happens, and, unfortunately, those customers will never be happy, so it is best to call them out and let the consequences be what they will. Everybody has an incident, and most clients understand, and will be reasonable. However, most is not all, and that is the problem!:dizzy:

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

we ended up paying for a repair to a large 10' x 12' garage door at one of our properties that we service because we supposedly hit it with our equipment and knocked the tracking right off the wall, okay, I go and look at it, the door has no dents on it, my 9' plow blade where I back-bladed for the loader was very visibly 2' from the door(which is odd because I usually get about 6" from them) and the pusher boxes we use are 14' wide so its impossible to hit the door. on closer inspection I see a scrape along the cement that hits the wooden frame of the garage door, just about the height of a delivery truck, the big ones like a 24' Ryder. Long story story short my boss just paid the bill, he said its not worth losing the account over something that will be paid for in 1 and 1/2 plows at that lot.

still made me mad but I see his point. I'm sure we'll end up doing some "extra" salts hehehe

14. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Ya extra salt works or you pad the summer bill.

15. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

Extra salts work but not when your plowing a seasonal contract and the damage is the neighbors fence. I imagine he's being a dick because both companys are lumber yards. Very funny thing is you hardly ever see anyone at the dicks lot. you know he's hurting.

16. lude1990

lude1990 Senior Member

I put in fence for a living and for 100' of 4' galvanized is just under $1350 including tear out of old fence. $2200 maybe for black chain link but if you putting in 100' of galvanized 4' he is screwing with you on the bid. Hope all works out man.

17. hitachiman 200

According to snowman he only damaged 50' of fence , so his cost would be only $675.00

18. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

The fence is 6'. He got a bid from one of the more expensive fence installers. They do a good job but they cost more. Original bid for 2200 (plus someones elses cost to use a skidsteer to move snow and pull post out of the ground) was to take out 10 poles at 10' apart. replace the chain link fence at 110'.

Since the ground is frozen and they had to hand dig it (utilitys right under the poles) they decided to just straighten the poles and replace the 110'. My contractor kissed that dicks butt and told me I could do the fence. So Saturday I went in cleared the snow. straighted the poles. I took out the old fence and hooked up the new one. I was about to put it up when the dick showed up and told me to leave his property before he called the cops. I told him we just had an hourish left. didn't matter to him my him was up at 3:00pm Friday. I told my contractor and the store manager what happened and they could only laugh.
    Thus I'm waiting to see what I'm going to get charged. Because when we were talking about stuff he started adding little things he wanted done also.

19. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

I did buy all the parts and it cost me $250 for all of it, an hour on a skid that i own, and lunch for 3 guys that had a story to tell. guess that makes it priceless.

20. hitachiman 200

gotta love those visa moments:drinkup: