1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

better visiability for tinted windows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alexf250, Nov 18, 2005.

1. alexf250

alexf250 Member

I have a dodge ram 4 door and the windows are all tinted pretty well. Has any one ever used back up lights or something similar? and how has it improved visibility? Thanks
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

tinted windows suck. I put some on just my rear window, just to keep the sun off the baby, but I cant see through it very well at all at night, and I'm going to rip it off before I start plowing. I have always removed it from any used vehicle I've bought, because I hate it. I realize that many people seem to love it, but I think it makes a vehicle look terrible. I suppose it's okay for a rice burner in the barrio, but it just makes a real mans truck look cheesy. Thats just my opinion, and I'm sure everyone will let you know how wrong I am, they always do.
  3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I added some PIAA lights, mounted by my trailor hitch ( to avoid damaging them ) for backing up. I have the factory tinted windows Ford has, but my last truck I had the windows tinted the limo persentage, it was pretty rough seeing out the back.
  4. Detroitdan

oh, to answer your question, I have always put a pair of auxiliary back up lights on my trucks, because I used to always have lifted trucks, and when your back up lights are 4-5 feet off the ground they dont do much. A good set of rubber mounted tractor utility lights are best, they are really durable and easy to wire up. Dont buy the cheapo Walmart ones, they arent really flexible rubber and wont bend, and they are wicked dim. I have also replaced my back up light bulbs with 50 watt bulbs, which helped a lot. That was for an older truck, I dont know the availability of 50 watt bulbs for a new style truck with the funky bulbs.
  5. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I almost always have window tint on my vehicles. I can't stand driving around in a "fish bowl"!
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Backup lights are a must with tints. Mine are limo tinted (5%). It's like backing up in the sun when they're on.
  7. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I agree with the fishbowl comment. I like privacy. Do I do anything that requries privacy? Nope but it's nice knowing someones not watching every move you make. My windows are 5 percent all around except drivers and passenger are factory 35 percent. I have some cheap walmart driving lights mounted to my trailer hitch(tucked a good bit behind bumper for protection) and they were excellent.
  8. DaySpring Services

Make sure to put them on a relay and not just tap into the trailer harness!!
  9. Jray3369

Jray3369 Junior Member

has anyone ever tryed the reverse lights that mount around the reciver. They are in the SummitRacing book. Thought id ask. And yes for tint and back up lights aswell
  10. Detroitdan

I have never used a relay on my backup lights, I always tap into the wiring harness at the back. You are only in reverse for relatively short periods of time. That being said, one day I backed up and stopped to talk to my neighbor, spent ten minutes gabbing not realizing I was still in reverse. That was long enough to melt a wire due to the higher current draw of 50w bulbs and 35w auxiliary lights. But that was just because I sat there so long. I have used relays in the past for driving and off road lights and always found them to be problematic.
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing with tinted windows is'nt that bad, you just have to get used to it....:nod:
  12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Crank your heat and roll 'em down. That's what I do.
  13. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We think the best way to see out of tinted windows is to rip off the tint...:cool:
  14. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

the more lights the merrier.
  15. DaySpring Services

I tired just tapping the trailer harness. The lights didnt help at all, they were way too dim. Relay made a world of a diffrence. Backing for me is like having headlights (2- 55w fog lights) which helps out alot with how dark my windows are.