1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Better V-Box Poly or Stainless for me?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by F550SNOWAY, Mar 13, 2008.

?

Which Is The Better V-Box, Poly or Stainless?

Poll closed Mar 20, 2008.
  1. Poly

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Stainless

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Keep Killing Your Self With The Bags

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. F550SNOWAY

F550SNOWAY Junior Member
    from PA

So with the end of the season nearing, my partner and I are finally making the switch from Bag Salt to Bulk Salt......We have the space at our shop and the machine to load it....I'm looking at a Buyers Heavy Duty Stainless Steel 4.5 Yard Salt Spreader 10.5hp Honda gas motor 10ft model for my F-550. And a Buyers Steel/Stainless Hopper Spreader 8ft 10hp Honda Gas model for my F-450. The F-550 will be in a garage for sure and get loaded up before going out, im not sure about the F-450 yet.....Lets say it will stay outside and will be loaded up the night before. For my partner to take home. Which is the best V-box for my trucks? Poly or Stainless?

I've had some people say go with the Stainless, do to all metal internals. The same people say that the salts freezes up and they must use a digging bar from time to time to break up the salt.

A buddy of mine bought a SHPE2000 Salt Dogg...He says the salt hasn't froze up on him yet and he has his salter loaded for days at a time. I'm not sure what size they come in, but I have to go big for the F-550 due to multiple nursing/assisted living homes. They get salted HARD!!!

I've seen a few people in my area with Snow-Ex SP-8000's, haven't had a chance to talk to them to see if they like them and how they run.

Any info would be great.....Thanks

2. terraventure

terraventure Member

I have been looking at 4-4.5 yard buyers also. You won't have a problem with the salt freezing up until you get in the low teens. I had two yards freeze up on me when it got into the single digits, not fun. Try to empty after every use just in case or leave inside. If I have to I will just dump excess salt in my garage and re-load.

3. F550SNOWAY

F550SNOWAY Junior Member
    from PA

We have salt pit all ready.....just waiting for some warmer weather to have the area paved. Whatever salt isnt used at the end of the run, Im going to back up to the pile and empty the hopper. The Buyers 10ft 4-4.5yrd runs almost $8K.....Id like to buy both salters for no more then $13K

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Have u though about getting tail gate spreaders for the dump beds?

5. F550SNOWAY

F550SNOWAY Junior Member
    from PA

My trucks do not have central hydraulics.....I think Meyers makes an electric tailgate salter? No I havent looked at them.....Links?

6. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i have a new 2008 550 with a 19k gvwr there is no way i would dream of putting 4.5 yards on my truck my salter heaping is 3 yards your talking about an extra 3500 pounds i have a smith electric it has worked well this year i never leave salt in the hopper for more than 2 hours it will chunk up and clog the chute i just run the excess back into the bulk pile

7. F550SNOWAY

F550SNOWAY Junior Member
    from PA

I've been talking with, they assured me that the application I am looking at is rated for my truck.

"....IDEAL FOR HEAVY DUTY MUNICIPAL & COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS. Designed for dump bodies & flat bodies with a GVW chassis of 15,000 to 20,000 lbs. and is available with either hydraulic motor drive or 10-1/2 HP gas engine." from the brochure

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

mc1,
    did you get the dual controller when you bought yours? they discontinued them until they got their parts problem resolved so mine only came w/ an on -off switch. what a great spreader even at one speed. i don't like the way the chute moves when the salter is running empty. it is smooth when salt starts hitting the spinner though, kind of a little warning that the spreader has emptied. imo they should have threaded the hitch pin and welded a nut to the frame so that it remains a flip chute but can be hand tightened w/ out needing any tools then it wouldn't rattle when empty
    steve