1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Better Business Bureau?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Eronningen, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Ok guys and gals. Whats your take on the BBB? Do you like or dislike? Why?

I'll let you comment for a bit then I'll throw in my .02 cents.

2. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

love it, makes you look good

3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Not worth it to me. I paid for it several years ago and all I got was a sticker for my window.

When they call they never say on the message that they are trying to get you to join. So you think someone has a complaint against you so you call them back and then they give them their sales pitch. Waste of time.

4. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I think they are a great asset as an organization. We don't pay to be a member though. Over the years we've had a lot of customers go there to confirm our status as a business and it closes jobs for us.

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I agree with the above. We paid extra to use the logo on our website, and it is even on the cover of our conract... lends credibility. We have hit ten years with the BBB and state "Ten Year BBB Accredited".

There was a post about some resi plow co... Redwagon or Snowman or something, and how the raped all their pre-pays and then didn't show. The post had a local newscast that weighed heavy on their unresolved customer issues reported to the BBB, and how the BBB did NOT endorse this company -pretyy powerful negative publicity in my book.

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I don't have a problem with anybody who wants to go that route and I can see the benefits as well as the possible negative effects that it could have. Me personally...I've just never been a fan of "joining clubs", on my own for 19 years now and haven't run an ad for 16 years. I don't join associations either. I tend to follow the logic of "birds fly with flocks while eagles fly alone".

I'll never forget the day that I was sitting across the table from a guy who was once the president of the Ohio Landscapers Association. We were both competing for the same govt. contract, sitting at a conference table and there was a tape recorder sitting between us as we were both being interviewed. I was only about 25 at that time and I was also the guy who took the contract from him. I guess he thought that he was being cute when he tried to openly humiliate me in front of the contracting officers when he said "funny, I've never heard of you or your company before, hahaha". I said "that's probably because my trucks aren't marked and I'm also not a member of your club...but now you have".

I never was much of a conformist.

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

No offense, but here the fact that your trucks are unmarked would have disqaulified you from a government contract since all vehicles used commercially must display company name, city of origin, and phone by law.

8. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

You are right about the name, I had 40 magnetic name plates w/ 3" letters that each driver would place on the doors when we performed our service for that contract. When we finished they came off and went back behind the seat, some guys would just stick them to the roof of the truck. This was during the mid to late 90's and I wasn't required to have anything more, other than the extensive safety checks w/ required safety equipment, and a submitted list of all the trucks and drivers info.

9. vincent

vincent Senior Member

waste of time and money. Spend the your money on marketing. Good word travels fast.

10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Alot of good points here for both sides.
    A little history on me. Been a roofing contractor for over ten years now. Growing slightly each year. The reason I even brought it up was cause Pert Snow had it on his website and made a reference to it.
    I have been a member of the BBB in the past. Was maybe for two years? Got a little plastic plaque and a sticker. At the time the cost to get in was based on gross reciepts I think. That was my first turn off. Much time went by.....
    This year we have alot of hail/storm damage where I'm at. 3-4 large storm chasing companies fly into town. They obviously come loaded for bear and thats good for them. They sell and do alot of work in a quick time but leave a huge trail of crap work and unsatisfied customers in their trail. This is nothing new. So I do a fair amount of research on two companies in particulara and the have a terrible rap sheet no matter where you look. Here is the kicker. I look them up on the BBB and they are listed as members in GOOD standing!!??? even though they have a rap sheet to view on BBB. Sorry to be long winded...Anyways, I blow it off until one day a few weeks later I get the BBB call and I return it as a professional should to be on the safe side.(Even though I knew they would be soliciting) Lady goes on to tell me why I should be a member, so I drill her.
    Q: How can a crap company be a member in good standings, showing over ten complaints on your site in a short time? A: They resolved all issues except one.:dizzy:
    I could go on and on with the converstion and bore you more. I as a non member can look myself up as well and check my standing as any customer can.
    IMO I think many crap companies join BBB for the cover up effect. If I was a junk contractor I would join so they could help cover my dirt.
    With all that a side, I do believe that in a naive customers eyes, the BBB member and logo means something to them and thats about all its good for.

11. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

And to add to that, if BBB was there to protect customers, as I assume that is their claim to fame, then why do they allow literally anyone to join? And/or not be booting people with terrible track records. This is one example of many.

12. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Because they want your money. They are a Business.

I do think that the General public believes it is a good orginazation and they trust that they check on who they let in to their club. I also think that a lot of good companines are members, but being a member doesn't make you a good company.

13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Excellent point made and a great post !!!

It's amazing to me the systems that are in place that lead people to believe that they can be trusted as a reliable source of info. and so many people will subscribe to that logic as if they have no other resources. Then again, a lot of people don't really sit down and talk a whole lot anymore to their own families, neighbors or others within their own communities. Most people don't read books or explore other sources to gain information. We've become a nation that basically relies on the media to feed us our news, to tell us what's going on, what's in and what's not, who's in and who's not. Sadly, most don't even understand how the media works and who's interest it serves...it's not yours or mine, that's for damn sure !!! What's also sad, is that most people don't even care, but they think they do. Most subscribe to a logic, that someone else will fix our problems for us. Just take this pill and everything will be just fine !!! Vote for me, I'll fix everything...just pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Sorry to get a bit off track, but I think it's relevant to the logic that exists when we are discussing these types of systems, as they would have no power if people didn't surrender their power to them, or maybe at least held them accountable instead of just letting the fox watch the hen house. That's all.