1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best Years in Older FORD DIESELS?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ole Tower, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I*M looking for an Older Ford Diesel pick Up Due to I can Not afford a new One! & having seen a few I*M Not well enough Infomed to BUY One w/Out really knowing? what I should really be Looking For? & being a Retiree & Re-Tarded? in Diesels! Whats the Last year? of Fords None Computerized Diesel pick Ups? in My search of Dodges I have learned that from 95.5 Back w/ the 12 valve is My best Bet--but--All their Auto Trannies are weak & finding a Standard is All most Impossible? so Fords my Pick as my Ford will be mostly a Daily Driver a 4X4 would be Nice ---but--Not a Necessity a Reg Cab plain Jane would Do Me just Fine! So GUYS what? Do I really Look For?--THANKS in Advance! Ole Tower

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would say 95 and up for diesels. The transmissions are not real strong but no brands are any better. If you go older your into more repairs and wear-out issues.The PowerStrokes are very strong and last for 250K + without problems. I have drove them since they came out and I love them! Try to stay away from real high mileage trucks because they may need other parts replaced and repaired. The engine lasts forever!

3. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

The 7.3 is bulletproof. The best years seem to be 2000-2002 for these engines. All of the bugs were worked out by then. I love my 7.3.

4. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

THANKS JPL I appricate IT! Ole Tower

5. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Being I*M an Ole Guy & into Older model vehicles I should have explained? I was thinking more on the First generation Diesel pick ups as Tinkering is No problem w/ ME! Not that I want JUNK just an Ole diesel pick up thats a daily driver Rust & a few Dents? No problem but I hear most Ole Model diesels parts are hard to get? & I*M a Standard shift man as I can replace Clutches but I dono? auto trannies? & a 4X4 would be Nice but a 2 wheel drive would do Me Fine so a Reg CAB Standard that needs body work? No problem & a Bad rear BED? I can Build a flat bed! as I have had many Pretty Turcks so a Good Running Plain Jane Diesel as Age in NOT important? the Only thing I*M NOT worth Crap at is Electrical Wiring! especially under the DASH! as some One? must have an Ole One? thats Mechanicaly Sound but Don*t want to PAY Body man Labor prices to Fix It? & its Too Good to JUNK cantact ME! THANKS Ole Tower

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i have six 7.3's and i would reccomend the one in our 91 or our 89 for what you are talking about. they have plenty of power, 160-170 hp. plenty of room in under the hood, and if you just putt around you don't really need a turbo. i have had the 91 for 12 years now and it has been nothing but good to me. the motor still runs just like it did whenever i bought it.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

o also the parts are no problem to get. most parts are kept in stock for the 91 at our little car quest store here.

8. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Best Yrs in Older Ford Diesels?

Thanks Guys for the INFO as Older Diesels here localy are Rare in Pick Ups as I have been Loking for a While I found an 89 F-250 4X4 w/ a 5 speed-140,000 miles second owner w/ original Title & Great tires but I haven*t seen it Yet He claims? to have the Service Records?--Well Maintained?? but its a couple of 100 miles Away! so whats? a Fair Price? for It--as Its Un-seen? a Ball Park Figures? Low? to High? WE plan On going to See it this week End! Hopeing?? its Still there? Thaks again Ole Tower

9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

A friend sold a 88

A Friend sold his 88 F350 in Friendship; 4x4,7.3,auto,load range E Mich's,145k miles in excellent mechanical condition,I mean excellent ,PM on everything for $2,500. The body was pretty tough.Lots of patches.
    Make sure you get under any older pickup.I've found with the Fords in salt country the radiator supports and typical brake lines etc go pretty routinely.
    Best of luck.

10. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Thanks Oshkosh I just visited E-Bay to get some Idea? of Condition? & Prices? as theres some? Pretty Nice trucks there! but Most are a long Way Away! I guess? I*LL stick to Local trucks! as replacing the Radiator Support? & brake lines is NO Problem if? the Price is Right?? I bought a Truck yrs Ago on the NET & traveled a long way--never Again--it turned out a pretty Good truck but I had to Do a lot of Work on It I dono? I*M an Ole Softy I guess? a an Ole Guy had It & was Really Hard UP! Not the Best Truck Purchase I ever Got but being Ole Myself I really Felt Sorry for Him Mechanically it was Fine but It needed more Body Work than I had Figured on! & I learned PAINT cost more than the aftermarket Parts example--Fenders--@ $50.00 Paint over $400.00 after New Brakes & Lines & Tires seat cover & door seals & a New Floor Matt New Paint & Clear Coat I sent Him Photos of IT by Snail Mail He called ME & Thanked ME! as HE had it since it was NEW! it had Very Low Milage but it was a Gas Job! I did a Complete Engine Tune UP but it still Used too much GAS! so I Sold It & I*M looking for a Diesel Being Retired ! & ********? I hope? I find a Good One? as Time will Tell? Thanks Again Ole Tower

11. Oshkosh

They are out there...

Funny ,he tried for months to get $4,500 for it with a one year old only used for his driveway 8' Fisher and he finally took the plow off and sold the truck for $2,500. It did have Ford rust in all the favorite spots.
    I put allot of the miles on that truck and it was a nice ride,nice and tight ,sat up nice and high, just the body went to He##.
    I started plowing for the State with a 84 I think it was, F350,4x4 6.9 diesel with a 4 spd and that was a nice setup.I could go it seemed days on a set of tanks,really a nice little plow truck.
    If I see something I'll give you a shout.

12. Oshkosh

Did you see this one in Bethel.

1989 Ford F250 Diesel 5spd. 4wd. tool box, 140,000 miles 2nd owner. Original title, well maintained, runs excellent, great tires. Hate to sell but buying home and must go. Prefer cash will consider partial trades. $2500 or bo Bethel, ME

Contact Information

Call 207-665-2027

Email this person now

88 F250.jpg

13. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Check the oil pan on the 7.3's. They have a habit of rusting and are a ***** to change. They say you have to pull the motor to change them. Some have said it can be done in the truck, but it's extremely hard to do.

14. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Best years in Older FORD DIESES?

YES! in Uncle Henrys--Thanks for the Photo a few weeks Ago! in Uncle Henrys an Ole Guy had an 83? in Bar Harbor w/ 300,000 on it--I called Him He had just had a lot of work done on it --new Pump-- Injectors Ect--& a new Inspection it would need tires soon & it wasn*t Pretty? but very dependable $1,000 delivered--I*M in Augusta as HE had just Bought a New FORD! I got to Laughing! as this Ole Guys Niece was married to Mike O*Connor of O*Connors GMC locally a Big GMC Dealer here locally I went to High School w/ Mike Dono? His Wife? but Do Know! shes a Multi Millionare & So is Mike I Dono? about his Truck? as I never got to See It? as I figured it had too High milage & would need? a lot of Mechanical Work on the Rest of His Truck? so I backed Off on It Ole Tower

15. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Oshkosh I called but No one Answered? will keep trying! I Hope its Not Gone All ready? as its exactally what I*M looking For! & I assume? the PHOTO is one of Yours? Thanks! Ole Tower