1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Best years 1500 for plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VTDave, Apr 30, 2012.

1. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

I'm on the fence about 2500HD versus 1500 for my needs. It's a 1000ft private road, and then the truck will only get ~4k miles of other, light duty non-plow use per year. Either way, the truck is getting a Boss standard duty straight blade (7'6" or 8'0").

I'm having trouble finding a 2500HD in my price range (up to 10k) that hasn't been beat/rusted to hell. I'm starting to think a southern 1500 might fit the bill.

Questions: (1) What do you think about the 1500s? (2) Which years did the front suspension get "soft" and should be avoided.

Thanks again,
    Dave

2. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

If you're going for a southern truck, I would look for a GMT400 ('88-'98). They're pretty reliable and don't have a ton of computer stuff to go wrong. Some people say the front frame rails can weaken and crack due to plowing but that seems to only happen with the commercial trucks and is an issue of all of the IFS Chevy's. I would look for one with the F44 option code. That is the heavy duty chassis code and will give you a semi-floating 14 bolt rear end and a few other upgrades to the truck.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I agree with bizzo.